Thursday, July 7

Change

My life is in a state of flux. I just graduated from high school and am starting college. I have a month of working under my belt at my first job, a full time job in which I had very little previous experience. I also have a month of experience in the only serious relationship I've ever been in under my belt. I'm not even wearing a belt right now. That's impressive. And I also happen to have begun the rebuilding of my spiritual life recently. It's been slow in coming and in growing.

I am tired. I have exhausted my body (capitalist sell-out that I am), spirit, and soul. I need to rest and nurture myself. Think about things (I've kind of been giving my intellect a break for a while- so behind on my reading). One thing that I am often affronted with at work is my plans for a career. I'm having a hard time justifying to myself the need for a very expensive education when my plans for the future at this point are to tend my garden and love and serve people. I really need to look for a job that I can love in the meantime. It's great that I am rehabbing old houses, but it is such an unhealthy environment for me to be in. I am learning and adapting, and that is good. My vocabulary is most probably permanently altered, and I am now mostly used to a smoky environment- two things that aren't very good. I would like to do something with art or books or even fair-trade coffee. That would be nice. And Sara is wonderful. I am learning a lot about this kind of relationship, and learning it fairly quickly. It is a very healthy relationship, I think, and I look forward to it growing more deeply, slowly. And I definitely need to tend to the garden of my soul. It has been neglected, and the things that used to feed me spiritually (or maybe were force-fed) no longer do. So I am in the process of exploring where I am, where God is, and where I can meet God now. I am going to start reading again, and that will help. I plan to journal (personally) more, and that will be good. I plan to check out a catholic church (yes, small "c"- as in actual universality) that some of my friends have gone to. And the society o' friends. And even the episcopalians. I am glad that I have a foundation from which to spring, though.

Life is changing. Change can lead to a lot of growth. Change is good.

2 comments:

  1. oh tom... you are going somewhere i can absolutley never follow. but how can the Catholic Church continue to reform if all the people who see something they do not like leave? And how can you reject something you do not fully understand? No church is ever going to be perfect, that is the reality of our human failings. I have found Truth where I am and I pray that you will find the Truth you are seeking. I love you and hope to see you when I get back home!
    -Sana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom,
    What a lovely post. Congratulations on your graduation. My youngest just graduated high school too.

    I love the fair-trade coffee idea. Whatever you choose to do, it will be the right thing. Your instincts will serve you well.

    My husband and I are facing some big challenges and changes. Change is inevitable; and so I resign myself to turn my face into the wind and enjoy.
    deb
    www.pbu.blogspot.com and
    www.outonthelimb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete