Monday, January 16

listen to trees

About a year and a half ago, I changed my internet identity because I was "trying to define my identity less on the institutions and other various groups of humans with which I'm involved, focusing more on the bigger picture: universal concerns, God." Well, I'm redefining myself, yet again, as my focus on universal concerns has shifted such that I'm now much more concerned with very local things, still with a broad understanding of my position in the world around me though. In an effort to both convey that and shorten my dreadfully long previous email address (tomcampbell.manofpeace), I have chosen a phrase that is more a reminder to myself and perhaps an invitation to other people- listentotrees. It may be pretty transparent to you that this is meant to align with my revitalized take on religion. The world is alive and speaking, but we perceive it to be silent (for we must silence (ie deny the dignity of) our victims). The thought of expressing this with "listen to trees" actually came with an experience late at night a few days ago when I was pretty down. I don't deal well with mental stress, but I couldn't shake it. I was trying to go to sleep on the living room sofa, but I was wide awake and thinking (and the thoughts weren't happy ones). Randomly, I took note of the fact that the only other living thing in the room (that I could see with my eyes) was the potted miniature palm plant at the end of the sofa. I was just staring at it, or through it. I was carrying a mental load, and the plant was the only living being immediately available, so I decided to talk to it. Or with it. It wasn't a conventional conversation by any means. I didn't speak out loud. I just thought my thoughts to the plant, attempting to be telepathic, I guess. Then I quieted myself and tried to feel whatever response the plant had for me. I say feel because it was more like I was interpreting emotional vibes as opposed to listening to the plant respond. The first emotion I felt from the plant was anger (at being stuck in a pot, I suppose). I relayed to the plant my emotions of lonliness over Sara being gone for the semester, and I either realized for myself, or projected on the plant, or received from the plant the message that I was simply focusing a little too much on myself. I need to turn outward and interact with the people still around me instead of feeling sorry for my abandoned little self. It's good advice, whether it came from the recesses of my mind or from the good will of the plant (despite being stuck in a pot). So that's what inspired the "listen to trees" thing. But in general, I want it there as a reminder to just be present to here and now. I've focused more in the past on the now part. Now I'd like to focus better on the here- what is surrounding me, the beings that directly affect me and that I affect without ever normally being aware. I guess I'm trying to describe the interconnectedness of things, but I'm not being too eloquent about it. And it's not like what I'm saying is anything new, except for the part where I have a new email address.

It's listentotrees(at)gmail(dot)com, so update your contact list!

1 comment:

  1. Happy (belated) blog birthday!

    I recently bought Pema Chodron's DVD "When Things Fall Apart"
    I'm working my way thru it a small section at a time to more fully absorb the message.

    The way you handled your sadness reminded me of Pema's message when she instructs that we embrace our feelings rather than shoving negative feelings away.

    Thanks for blogging. It's always a pleasure to visit here.

    ReplyDelete