Friday, October 12

"My efforts won't matter to the world. It's best to keep the peace."

Holy shit, is that really my world view? How did I ever come to that conclusion? What could my family have done to me (or not done to me) to make me that resigned to my lack of value to this world?

The books tell me I must have been neglected when I was young, but I don't remember feeling neglected. My mom tells me I was breastfed for a year, at which point I had almost completely self-weaned (I still wanted to nurse before bed at night), and then I was weaned the rest of the way. I may be wrong about this (and my mom will definitely let me know if I am), but I get the impression that I did not sleep in a family bed but in a crib. But I definitely have fond memories of snuggling in the family bed as a toddler and small child before going off to my own room. Could I simply have followed in my dad's footsteps, imitated his personality? Maybe he was neglected. Maybe his dad was neglected. . .



The words "enneagram" and "nine" took waaaay less time to become cliche for me than the phrase "people-pleaser", so I'm using them as little as possible these days. Honestly, I've grown tired of focusing so much attention on baring light on all the ways I am not integrated and whole. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've ended up enacting the "law of attraction" and have manifested some more bad habits by reading about what "nines" do. So, since I have no clue what the real secret is (how to succeed without positive thinking), I'm focusing on the positive.

I've found a book by Riso that provides mantras to aid in focusing in on integrating and letting the rest go:

I now affirm...

  • that I am confident, strong, and independent.
  • that I develop my mind and think things through.
  • that I am awake and alert to the world around me.
  • that I am proud of myself and my abilities.
  • that I am steadfast and dependable in difficult times.
  • that I look deeply into myself without fear.
  • that I am excited about my future.
  • that I am a powerful, healing force in my world.
  • that I actively embrace all that life brings.
(text pulled from this site)

Basically, I can transform myself with right action and self-love. And both of those things lead to practical application in the form of developing a personal agenda - what my opinions, beliefs, and passions are, separate from everyone else.

So, step one: separate myself from everyone else (momentarily - after my agenda is set, I want to be able to hold onto that while still communing with others)
Step two: declare my opinions, beliefs, passions. I don't want to get into all of my opinions and beliefs and passions right now, but I'll use one as an example. I am currently very passionate about learning how to stalk, hunt, kill, and dress animals, both
as a way to grow in community-sufficiency and as a spiritual practice.
Step three: set up a structure of some kind to either express or make my opinion, belief, or passion a reality. So, for hunting, I need to create a ritual for myself of waking early in the morning and going on a walk first thing with the intention of watching the animals and their behaviors and habits, starting to build a relationship with and deep knowledge of them. At the same time, I need to be reading about the technical aspects of tracking, making a kill, and dressing, or seek out an elder who can share that knowledge with me, as well as the wisdom that comes with being so intimately involved in the life and death of another animal. As I gain more knowledge, I will need to incorporate practice of more skills during those daily morning walks - how to walk, how to read tracks, how to construct, handle, and use whatever kind of weapon I learn will work.

It sounds like a great plan. If you're familiar with threes at all (that's what I integrate towards), you could see that this is looking like something a three would come up with. Unfortunately, there's no way I'm possibly going to get up tomorrow morning at or before dawn to take that walk. And there's absolutely no way that it would happen every day that way. BUT, what I will do is commit to going on that walk every day, just not necessarily at dawn. Some days I'll make it at dawn, and gradually, it will become a routine thing. And that's what I need - life-giving routines.

I do want to say that there are positive things about being *ahem* that number that I already have down. I'm great at listening to people, receiving them exactly as they are, holding them without any judgement, and really feeling what they're feeling along with them. I'm good at that. And I love doing it. That, and in the midst of lighter conversation among a group of people, when one person misunderstands what another has said, I can usually jump in and clarify what was meant more easily and quickly than the original speaker. I also probably have vast powers of intuition that I've got mostly locked up right now. I think, when I unlock them, they could express themselves in the form of telepathy, maybe even psychokinesis. Now that's cause for excitement about my future!

21 comments:

  1. Granted I don't know you well at this point Tom, I really like the direction of this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm great at listening to people, receiving them exactly as they are, holding them without any judgement, and really feeling what they're feeling along with them."

    Tom, I can't think of anything our culture needs right now more than people who can do that. You will provide a space for people where they can feel at peace - and for many it will even be a healing experience. I have an uncle who is like this and I always feel very calm around him, I wish I was more like that myself.

    I feel like judgemental vibes are one of the major forces in my life that keep me on the run - even at 36 I can't relax fully around older people because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just reeks of new age bullshit -- all you have to do is try harder and be a good boy and you'll get everything you want! Law of attraction? Telepathy, psychokinesis? What the fuck? Nothing is wrong with you, and you don't *need* to love yourself, not to mention how impossible that is. (Who is the I that is loving and who is the I that is being loved? Are you two people now?) All this self-examination and self-identification and self-justification is bullshit. You have no fucking legitimacy until you establish direct relationships with other people WITHOUT all the ideological bullshit. You're trying way too fucking hard.

    And it seems you still don't know your story. Socialization to this culture doesn't have to be this big traumatic event, even though it often is -- it's often subtle, gradual, invisible.

    Maybe this has been harsh, patronizing, whatever, but I want to slap you and say "wake the fuck up." You can't "positive-think" the world away. And there will always, always, always be judgment in any relationship. It's not about ceasing to judge, it's about acknolwedging the judgments we do have and being honest with others about them. Repressing them to be a "good listener" is just draining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'mon Devin. Stop holding back and tell us what you really think? You used 7 naughty words and let everyone know how unlovable you are... to yourself! Well, that makes it unanimous; the readers are also convinced of your unlovability. Tom, on the other hand, seems to be evolving in a healthier direction, especially about the hunting part.

    Tom, I suggest for inspiration, you ponder the sacred words of the holyman of the woods Ted Nugent, who said so profoundly "You can't grill it, unless you first kill it." Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tom I usually just read enjoy your blogs and go on without leaving a comment. This time is different in that I wanted to encourage you in your direction. I find how your mind works fascinating. (in a good way btw ) I also wanted to comment on what devin said.. profanity is the last bastion of the un-educated and shallow. pay him no mind.
    dennis

    ReplyDelete
  6. lulz i r so uneducated cuz i use potty mouf werds (wai 2 count dem, by teh wai) to indicate intensity. scuse plz while i b dum in ur commence, tom.

    As far as me being unlovable, that makes me laugh out loud. All I can say is, no u. I feell verry luved an so did ur mom last nite. o snap.


    Quite beside the point, (sence obviously all i sed wuz pottywords) people are way too polite about things that they think are utter bullshit. There's a taboo about honesty with regard to personal topics cuz ppls get their feelings (egos) hurt an dun no how to respond. Right.

    Anyway, just checked in to see if Tom had 'sponded. Guess not. mebbe he contacted me telepathickly an i wuzn't receptive. o well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wanna back up devin here, all this introspection is really ridiculous. healing ourselves does not happen without healing something greater than ourselves. i am surprised that no one else has called bullshit on this, and that everyone here condems swearing, who fucking cares if someone uses swear words to express themselves? it does not invalidate what they are saying and to use that argument obviously pompous.
    do you guys know what happened to the cheyenne? do you know how the women and children and elders were slaughtered and mutilated by the whites? look it up. your problems are tiny. get over it. we need you to engage, not just masturbate into a more mature individual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here some notable examples from people who don't think introspection is ridiculous:

    The unexamined life is not worth living. - Socrates

    It is wisdom to know others; it is enlightenment to know one’s self. - LAO TZU

    Explore thyself. Herein are demanded the eye and the nerve. - Henry David Thoreau

    Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens. -Carl Jung

    The only journey is the journey within. - Rainer Maria Rilke

    Without self knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave. - George Gurdjieff

    “If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.” - Sun Tzu

    Full wise is he that can himselven knowe. - Chaucer

    Make it thy business to know thyself, which is the most difficult lesson in the world. - Miguel de Cervantes

    Man know thyself; then thou shalt know the Universe and God. - Pythagoras

    "Never by reflection, but only by doing is self-knowledge possible to one." - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

    If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us. - Herman Hesse

    ReplyDelete
  9. great, im glad all those people looked into their problems, but that doesnt help the salmon IMMEDIATELY. by becoming a whole person yes one can tackle the problems of mass extinction and living in a culture that is killing everything better.
    what i was saying is that if yr intention is self improvement, you could put all yr energy there for the rest of yr life and still have plenty of room for improvement.
    "self improvement is masturbation"
    think about it. this earth it being killed. NOW.
    o and all of the people you quoted were from civilized societies, therefore they existed in the lineage of the most destructive culture ever, and they did not stop or slow the destruction around them - actually a few of them made it smoother by providing philosophies and art that supported the dominant cultures worldview.
    if i hate someone it might be because they are killing the earth, my home. because they have raped me.
    get out of yr philisophical hiding place and realize that the whole living earth is being killed by everyone around you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I somehow came across your blog. Tres interesting...you should come back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmm...
    cym - thanks for the thoughtful response!
    i said in my comment, by becoming a whole person one can tackle the problems we face much better, you don't need to say it back to me. i think what tom is doing is fine, i have spent years in solitude; my angle comes from having much experience with introspection. going into one's self and how one relates to the earth/world is fundamental, i was definitely not saying other wise - but rather emphasizing that it indeed is not an end, it is just a beginning. for me, the only reason to become a better person is to serve something greater than oneself. Indigenous traditions definitely put massive importance on self discovery - i just didnt appreciate someone trying to debunk me with a bunch of quotes from civilized scholars i have little respect for. and i see how there is a whole alternative culture that often doesn't go beyond healing our inner wounds, which is a good practice - but doesn't stop civilization from continuing to create those wounds. if we all become amazing beautiful people this culture is still going to continue destroying everything.
    yr response was good, but just so you know - i dont have a blog. i dont have a computer. i dont even have electricity where i live. i have humans i love, and land that i love and play with also.
    my life is amazing and alive
    i am aware that no amount of blogging will change the world, and that even changing people's minds wont change the world - but sometimes (not often for me) its just fun!!
    good luck to you, and to tom as well!!!
    may all be wild again

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks to all for your comments. Sorry I've waited so long to respond to them.

    Justin - we really do need to get together some time and get to know each other better. I'll contact you soon.

    Aaron - thanks for your affirmation

    Devin - you are right, sometimes I am trying too hard. I feel better off trying, though. I was pretty apathetic and directionless for a while, and in my move out of that space, I have been trying out different modes of thought, including this new agey bullshit. And, yes, I'm still learning my story. That was kind of the point of these ramblings, probing into the unknown corners of my story. you give really good advice, but I shut down and threw up my defenses (stubborn silence) and couldn't really heed it for a while because your delivery style leaves me feeling dominated. the only thing I wanted to respond to you with for a while was, "fuck you for being right".

    how do you recommend i resolve the tension between there being nothing wrong with me and the fact that my ego gets hurt by your potty mouf words?

    dan and dennis - thanks for commenting

    anonymous - I think you're the first anonymous commenter Ive had whose words I have appreciated

    cym - thanks for the support

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ugh, the point of what I wrote wasn't to give advice. I was being angry because all that bullshit you were spewing is so fake and retarded. I have no idea how to resolve the deeply internalized belief that there is something terribly wrong with us, the most I consistently manage is angrily rejecting it -- not that I'm trying (at all -- fuck that), it just comes up.

    It's a vicious cycle as far as I know, unless you have the opportunity to develop one of those mutual, non-bullshit relationships you'll never get the affirmation we all need in order to be comfortable and confident and not torn into tiny little pieces. But... trying to have a relationship with someone is the total antithesis of having a relationship with someone. "STAND BACK! I WILL BE YOUR FRIEND!" You can no more try your way out of this mess than you can get a firm grip on water. "Trying" to do so just REEKS of despair, more than "apathy" and "directionlessness" EVER will. Makes me want to vomit.

    If you're burned out, and I am, BE burned out. Stay burnt. Don't burn yourself out even more by trying to not be. I'm only just now rediscovering my creativity after a couple years of (in private or only when provoked) saying "fuck it", because only now am I beginning to feel like my life is truly my own. I still pretend and fake my way through shit quite often, but this is becoming increasingly unnecessary and annoying as time passes, to the point where I only leave the house once a week on average. As far as I'm concerned the strain of playing a role in this society is barely ever worth the effort.


    As an aside -- lol at the comment "backing me up". your problumz are tiny! guilt yourself and invalidate others more, lunatic. I'll be having salmon for breakfast just as soon as I finish throwing away this styrofoam and shitting in water. I hope you choke on your own self-righteousness.

    Hm. I don't know who I hate more, New Agers or guilty activists. Definitely a toss-up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Devin:
    "Hm. I don't know who I hate more, New Agers or guilty activists. Definitely a toss-up."

    Boy, you're sure full of HATE, it really sounds like you hate everyone and everything, including yourself.

    Maybe you ought to find yourself a good psychiatrist.

    Tom:
    I know you seem to look-up to Devin, and see him as some sort of mentor, but you need to wise up and see the writing on the wall. He's a very manipulative and disturbed person, who is feeding off of your gullibility and weakness; it's so totally like an abusive relationship.

    Too much intelligence and not enough empathy, are the ingredients for a psychopath. Wake up People.

    ReplyDelete
  18. devin,
    i kind of like how you can point out potential weakenesses in people's angles/ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. lulz, you called me a psychopath...

    How ironic for you to speak of empathy when you do not even attempt to empathize with me, but see instead my self-expression as a problem to be corrected, by a psychiatrist or whatever bullshit self-help mythology is the new fad this week. Go fuck yourself... or at least stop pretending you're doing anything other than that by what you write here.

    "you need to wise up", "see the writing on the wall", "wake up" is so much more manipulative and self-fellating than anything I actually said. And of course the reason I fucking hate people like you is because it reminds me of me far more than I am comfortable with. You literally make me want to vomit.

    I am not without reproach and I heard clearly Tom's expression of feeling dominated when I speak to him, but that is between me and him. I trust/expect him or anyone who I have a relationship with to address me directly on these matters, as he has done so here, without relying on anyone else to defend them... let alone some anonymous self-proclaimed new age activist.

    ReplyDelete
  20. DEVIN: Oh ok so sorry, I think I understand now. You two are butt buddies right? I should have guessed that. So when is the wedding? I\\\'m guessing that you are the Pretend Man and Tommy Boy is the pretend woman, am I right?

    Oh by the way, what have you been up to these days? The last I heard you were still living with your parents jerking off all day in your room. Has anything changed with you, or is it still the same old same old?

    So you only leave the house once a week? What do you do all day? How are your bills getting paid, did you win the lottery or something? What\\\\\\\'s up dude?

    P.S. Allan Watt\\\'s was a deluded alcoholic you dumb fuck.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha oh noes an incoherent anonymous coward attempting to use what little knowledge they've gained of me in order to make me look bad on the internet! *GASP*

    Whatever shall I do!

    ... Your MOM is a deluded alcoholic!

    ReplyDelete