Friday, March 11

The Kingdom of God is Within You

Today I was asked by a classmate what I had in mind for my career. At first I didn't respond because I happen to find the classmate particularly annoying. But when he pressed, asking what kind of job I wanted to have, I was compelled to answer. I don't want a job. "What?! You aren't going to work?" he stated incriminatingly. No, I'll work. I just don't want a job. Or anything that you would consider a job. "But you have to get paid to live." I don't think money should be the main reason one works. "But you still need it." Maybe. (I took a little literary license in transcribing the conversation).

However fruitless the conversation was, it did get me thinking. Not that I hadn't been thinking about this prior to this conversation, but what will it be like to actually be living in voluntary poverty? Of course, sacrifice is involved. When I do not have a car, I will bike, walk, and ride mass transit everywhere- which would have made the trek out to Maryville to see the Pulitzer photo exhibit so much more complicated. Actually, I could have most probably found a ride, but with the convenience of my own car, why consider conserving gas? (the exhibit was great, by the way) And again tonight, I went out with my dad to see a one-woman play on Dorothy Day, and if my dad hadn't driven, I would have. And if I didn't, it would probably take an hour to get there (for an hour long play). (the play was great, by the way) And without the computer that I'm using to type this, I'd have to keep this blog using library computers when they're open (it's 2 am, presently- prime time for my writing).

It's amazing to consider what I really need, materially, with what I have. I need shelter (preferably providing some soft surface to sleep) (but not necessarily the same shelter each day), food/water, a few articles of clothing, a library card, untouched wilderness (clean air/water, naturally growing things). And then I look around my room. I stare at all of the stuff I'm hoarding (stealing from someone who could put it to better use), and I ask myself why I make life so complicated. Not that it is all black and white, but I have to admit that I'm throwing a lot of brown into the situation. As in excrement. As in waste. As in, why do I have 40 polo shirts? Why do I need 40 polo shirts? Just because they only cost $3 at value village doesn't mean I have to buy one for every day of the semester. It does cut down on laundry, though.

I was disgusted with myself after buying souvenirs in Honduras, spending so much money on unnecessary things. I enjoy the things I got very much. I'm sitting right now on a brilliantly colored blanket I use as a bedspread. The clothes I brought back are so cool. The nicknacks on the bookshelves are very interesting. I enjoy these things. But at what cost? And to whom?

In my Catholic Social Teaching class, we have been studying Gandhi's nonviolence. He described poverty as the worst kind of violence. And until we stand in solidarity with those we are trying to lift out of the violence of poverty, assuming the same pain that they are suffering, we are living as hypocrites, denying the truth of the situation with our actions while we (is this the royal we?) speak of working for social justice.

I just finished reading The Kingdom of God is Within You, in which nonresistance to evil by force is explicated. This phrase is a little confusing (at least, it was to me)- evil is still to be vehemently resisted, but not with more evil (that is, force/violence). It calls one to actively work to expose evil to the light of truth at great sacrifice to self that one rejoices in as God's will is served. (I'd like to see my english teacher diagram that sentence) This rejection of cooperation with evil leads directly to a rejection of human authority, namely the government and the institutions of churches.

Which is all well and good. I can pursue personal emancipation from the powers that be. The question raised for me is how much to still use those systems in place. I'd really like to get money to pay for college. So I had to file a FAFSA, and to file a FAFSA, I had to register for the draft (as a male), against my will. And do I still vote, when any changes enacted within the system will only be modest material improvements when a conversion of conscience would be required to bring real change?

A conversion to nonviolent living (in every aspect of your life, not just direct confrontations) would eradicate poverty. No amount of violence to overthrow oppressive governments will ever result in lasting peace and justice for humanity (it'll only intensify the problem).

Make sure not to confuse anarchy with anomie. They are very different. While anarchy is without government organization, all organization is certainly not abandoned. I have faith that humans could govern themselves (individually and in cooperative communities) if given the opportunity. The Kingdom of God is within you and it's within me. Its coming depends only on us. The essence of our lives is the search for truth, the purpose- to serve humanity through our love of God, doing our part to bring about God's kingdom through the truth of Jesus' message. And that message was clearly, "Resist not evil" (Matt. 5. 39.)

That's enough philosophizing for one morning. I'm going to bed.

1 comment: