Friday, December 23

quotes

These are all of the quotes I have on my facebook profile. I've collected them from various places- mostly other people's profiles. That said, some don't have sources, and some are probably attributed incorrectly, so I apologize in advance. I'll comment on some of them:

"the essential conditions of everything you do must be choice, love, passion."
-nadia boulanger

"life isn't about finding yourself. life is about creating yourself."
-george bernard shaw

"don't ask yourself what the world needs. ask what makes you come alive. the world needs people who are alive."

"do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- ralph waldo emerson

"all human evil comes from this: man's inability to sit still in a room."
-pascal (although man seems rather adept to sitting still in a room that has a tv)

"i stand in awe of my body."
-thoreau

"the least of learning is done in the classrooms."
-thomas merton (quite similar to mark twain's "i try to not let my schooling get in the way of my education." I like it)

talk is cheap... it's the way we organize and use our lives every day that tells what we believe in.
- cesar chavez (this quote daily challenges me and humbles me, helping me to realize that I must still believe that I'm getting something out of college that is more worthwhile than what I'd be getting in the real world somehow)

"during times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
-george orwell

"our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. it is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
we ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous. actually, who are you not to be?
you are a child of god. your playing small doesn't serve the world. there's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
we were born to manifest the glory of god within us. it's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. as we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."-nelson mandela ("saving the world" is an individual act, it is 6 billion individual acts. take responsibility for the part you play, because you're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, people need you)

"the various philosophers have only interpeted the world in different ways. the point, however, is to change it." (yessssssss. philosophy class this semester was complete bullshit. kind of the same idea is chavez. stop talking, start acting, that kind of thing.)

"moderacy in temper is always a virtue. moderacy in principle is always a vice." (this is directed to all moderates and other fencesitters out there who think the high road is the middle road. you can't be on a road when you're sitting on the fence. get off your fence and stand up for what you believe in. stop compromising. you of all people should be able to see that neither party is giving you what we need, so start taking it for yourself)

"those who do not move do not notice their chains." (this is why i like to remain sober and not-rich)

"emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind." -bob marley (ya mon)

"when i feed the hungry they call me a hero but when i ask why they are hungry they call me a communist." ~dorothy day (i've seen this attributed to someone else, but i don't remember who)

"we cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." -mother teresa

"live simply so that others can simply live" ~gandhi (this is of course refering to materialistic simplicity. i don't really want to lead a simple life in any other way. that would be boring)

"we don't stop playing because we grow old; we
grow old because we stop playing." -george bernard shaw (snowball fight!)

"only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." -robert f. kennedy (this is the quote i attempted to use a while ago)

"it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. sometimes i feel like . . . it's too much. my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst, and then i remember to relax and stop trying to hold on to it and it flows through me like rain and i can feel nothing but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid, little life. you have no idea what i'm talking about, i'm sure, but don't worry. you will someday." -lester, american beauty (i like to read this quote when i get stressed out. it is very soothing. i should go back and read power of now again. i think meister eckhart would approve of this quote).

________________
I've often momentarily been inspired to expand greatly upon one of these quotes, but I fail to get to writing whatever I am thinking quickly enough. So I may refer back to one of these quotes in the future. For now, I just wanted to share them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment