Monday, December 4

This is pretty much exactly the reason why I haven't been blogging as of late. (comic from xkcd)

I really want to be able to just live without habitually thinking about how whatever I'm doing can make me look good to someone else. I've been an internet addict, and showcasing myself on this blog has been part of that addiction. I've begun to wean myself off the internet, gradually. I no longer feel the compulsive need to check my email all the time or refresh my feedreader five times a day. Actually, what I've done that has allowed me to get some distance away from the computer and spend some quality time with the real world is get really into food. I love food. Not just eating it, but even more so, playing with it. The vacuum of time I found myself freefalling in that I used to wastefully fill up retracing my steps over and over again on the internet I now spend fermenting, sourdoughing, sprouting, cooking, baking, washing dishes, reading really interesting cookbooks (like wild fermentation or nourishing traditions), and yes, eating. Certainly I still inevitably get on the computer towards the end of each night to check in with the goings-on of the cyberworld, but it no longer demands my near-constant attention as it used to.

Now food does that. And I'm much happier because of it.

My diet has actually undergone a pretty substantial revolution in the past month or two. I gave up peanut butter cold turkey. I don't fully know how or why I did it , but one day I was still eating my regular lunchtime meal of a humongous peanut butter sandwich (with the layer of pb between the slices of bread being as wide as one of the slices of bread) and the next day I found something else to eat instead. Pbj's (or for some lengthy intermittent spans of time, pb's) had been my lunchtime staple since I was two- throughout my childhood as a picky eater, thriving even more as I became vegetarian, and carrying me through my most recent period of purgatory hovering between vegetarianism and omnivorism. I suppose a couple things changed at once that allowed me to make the transition from constantly fatigued pb-fanatic to my present nutritionally healthy state. 1) my attempts at souring dough finally suceeded and I began to regularly consume sourdough pancakes, and 2) I started getting high quality bacon and grass fed burgers from a natural food store. A couple weeks after quitting pb, I was looking for a quick bite before going out, and I grabbed a spoonful of peanut butter only to find that it now tastes nowhere near as good as it used to (actually, more bad than good). So I'm pronouncing myself cured of my peanut butter addiction, as well as very happily an omnivore again.

If you're curious, my meals these days often go something like this: an apple first thing in the morning (granny smith's are my current favorite), then often a sourdough pancake, with butter and real (grade b) maple syrup on top, then often in the afternoon sometime a salad of sorts consisting of whatever sprouts I have going (wheat berries, quinoa, clover) mixed with some Ezekiel brand sprouted cereal, flax seeds, and whole-fat yogurt. And every few days I have a midday meal of meat, taking care to include as much saturated fat as possible. I usually have some form of eggs for dinner- an omelet or a couple over easy or scrambled or "in a (sourdough) basket". Oh yeah!, I've also made two loafs of real sourdough bread, one breadpan shaped and one round. And I've made two pumpkin pies with sourdough crusts. On halloween, instead of eating refined sugar, I made "urban legend" cookies with Rapadura and whole wheat flour, which the family enjoyed very much as well. I also gave up caffeine, except in chocolate form of course, so I've been exploring the world of herbal teas (mmm, especially with raw honey). I've also been taking bee pollen as a whole food/superfood vitamin supplement (I can't wait till spring comes to see how much it'll mitigate my seasonal allergies!). I cook with either olive or coconut oil, depending on the dish, and I bake with organic butter. I just made a batch of nut bars the other day, but they're really rich! (I used almonds, cashews, brazils, dates, and maples syrup, in decreasing order of amounts) I got a headache the first day from eating two and a half bars, and I won't be making that mistake again. I've got several different juices fermenting wildly right now- apple, grape, cranberry/blueberry. And I've still got some of my blueberry mead left. It's aging beautifully, but unfortunately I made the mistake once of shaking up the dregs before serving it to some friends. I like the dregs! But my friends don't.

Other than preparing, cooking, and eating food, I've also been dreaming of growing it again. I've recovered fully from my detour away from permaculture with Devin and now eagerly await to play with the space my family has made available to me in our yard. This is still one area where I can only read up on right now and can't do much yet except sheet mulch the beds, continue composting, and tinker with a homemade rainwater catchment system (so far, my problem is that the trashcan I'm diverting the water into fills up too fast and overflows! I've just reconnected the pipes to run into the sewer for winter, but I eagerly await holding onto and fully utilizing that water in the spring (perhaps even filtering some of it to drink?). Right now my vision for the garden is of a woodland edge garden, as that would fit the space I have availabe perfectly for now. If I were to stay here with my family on a more longterm basis, I would want to start maybe convincing them to let me turn the side yard into an orchard, and all of the yard behind the house, and down the back hill, and even in front of the house (you know that narrow strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street- I'm thinking a male and female couple of some undetermined species (probably an apple). That brings me to a question I've been pondering- If I were to build this woodland edge garden, and I only had room for one tree to start out with, what tree would be best to use? I want it to provide some food (either fruit or nut) and, since it's a forest of one, it of course needs to not need a mate to pollinate. I'm still researching, but if anyone has a suggestion, feel free to leave a comment. I'm also excited about using mushrooms in the garden, specifically mycocorrhizal fungi. And maybe with all the leaf mulch I've put down, I could grow some edible fungus too, perhaps the king stropharia. Other than the mycogrow, I really have no clue yet what I'll end up putting in. I'm trying to try out a lot of new fruits and nuts that could possibly be grown, but most just can't be found, even in a farmer's market (I'm thinking gooseberries, juneberrys, currants, and the like). There's a mulberry bush growing right next to our property line that I hope the neighbors leave alone long enough to fruit. We used to have a fruiting mulberry bush/tree ourselves until my family had the yard completely redone with dirt to level the side yard (where a house once stood) and fill in the empty concrete carlot, creating a hill down to the alley. The mulberry tree was actually perched right on the edge of the yard , hanging over the empty parking space like the magnificent weed it was. I don't think we ever ate any of the berries. Just complained about the birds pooping purple on our cars. At the same time as we had the fill dirt put in and sodded over it all, we also put in a concrete slab of a basketball court (this was all ten years ago when I was still ascending towards the peak in my fanaticism about basketball). Now I dream about tearing up that concrete to plant trees in great full southern light. Maybe someday. . .

10 comments:

  1. Hey --

    I'm not sure what you mean when you say you've "recovered fully from my detour away from permaculture with Devin", as I don't really recall ever detouring away from it myself. I have a different approach to permaculture than most people in the so-called "permaculture movement", that's for sure. But I wouldn't call it a detour, nor would I see it as something to be recovered from, so what you've said leaves me wondering if you weren't saying something else: that you've "recovered fully from ... Devin."

    At any rate, I would still like to come to some resolution with our previous conflicts. Much has changed since June, for both of us.

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  2. devin-
    i was not very clear with that statement. i did not mean to say that you yourself had detoured from permaculture, but that the effect of my relationship with you and the influence i let you have over me led me to mentally abandon permaculture as a viable path of action for me for a time. through my own perception, i trace back my move away from permaculture to being with you at dancing rabbit, so that is why i phrased it like that.

    i am not fully recovered from you. that would require the resolution you speak of, which i still feel too weak to approach. i do want to talk more with you soon, but not quite yet.


    cym-
    i acknowledge the huge value of the internet. i would be a very different person today if i never used the internet. i'm not intending to completely stop using this tool, only stop my dependency upon it.

    i'm not planning to switch to beta, but i think i'll reallow anonymous commenting (apologies to any who went to the trouble to register with blogger only to comment here)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you mean better now, thanks. I truly had no intent to make you mentally abandon permaculture as a viable option, and I'm glad you've rekindled an interest in it.

    Heh. "My name is _____ and I'm in recovery from Devin Hammond." There's gotta be a group out there somewhere. God knows there's enough people. Maybe I could start it, haha, I sure need it...

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy lifestyle is very important for all of us, so we need to get healthy food, exercise, lose weight, and take multivitamin supplements. I've read at HULIQ's issue about how vitamins affect teenagers’ health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruzanna, i agree that a healthy lifestyle is important for everyone. healthy food and exercise are great. but not everyone needs to lose weight. i am actually quite underweight and wish i could gain somewhere around 40 pounds. also, i dont like multivitamins because they would make us dependent on some distant industrial corporation for our health instead of relying on ourselves to grow or gather whole foods ourselves that will supply us with the necessary vitamins and minerals. also, necessary vitamins are absorbed much more easily or completely by the body when they are consumed in the form of whole foods. so i personally would rather eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and maybe a "superfood" like bee pollen than take a daily multivitamin that consists of isolated synthetic chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Woo, I can finally easily comment!)

    Tom: Nice read... Glad to hear you are being adventurously productive. I find myself in a similar situation: wasting away on the computer. I hate it. I want to blame the simple fact that I have a freelance job writing for a website, but that doesn't take more than an hour per day, so I know I am kidding myself. I usually get stuck in a constant loop of checking the same websites throughout the day. Though, I have been weening myself off over the past couple weeks, just slightly. I'm starting to consciously make a real effort. It's frustrating. Anyway...

    (Funny thing about the PB... I never really ate it much until DR, and then I became hooked on the stuff. Though my cravings for it have died down over the past two months.)

    Your post makes me hungry. I have been getting in making new foods over time, but certainly not to the same extent as you... It gives me inspiration to investigate new things even further, though!

    - Brian/brillo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like we're doing a lot of similar stuff at the moment Tom, that was like reading a journal that I don't actually keep.

    I'm also absorbed in Nourishing Traditions and Wild Fermentation at the moment. I have some honey wine brewing, lots of sourdough goodies, smelly sauerkraut, a Poi variation (fermented sweet potato) homemade cheese, homemade yoghurt (highly recommended for the value and wild goodness) and I've got about 20 recipes on my to-try list so it should be a fun week!

    Only recently have I weened myself away from my laptop, found myself being 100% more productive and really realised my full potential. I'm going to write something about it soon on my blog.

    Take care, Dan

    ReplyDelete
  8. brillo -

    damn these shiny screens and the hold they have over us! on the other hand, it's nice to talk to you!

    it's very easy to get addicted to dancing rabbit peanut butter. but actually, i remember overdosing on it while i was there and having stopped eating it, at least for a little bit. i wonder what all the aflatoxin has done to me.

    sorry for making you hungry. or rather, you're welcome. i highly recommend playing with your food. fermenting honey water or apple cider is a fun place to start.


    dan -

    yeah, i noticed your very similar post just a few days after mine. it's cool that we are attending ran's school of culinary arts together. but it seems you've been even more ambitious than me - i still buy my yogurt.. for now. youve inspired me to try to make my own! woo, this is fun.

    ha, the last sentence of your last paragraph seems a little tongue in cheek, maybe? even if not, i still got a good laugh at the irony.

    thanks for stopping in

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, yeah. Well I used to spend like 4 hours in a day just browsing things, but now I get on in the morning, post where I need to, check email, and that's it til the evening. I spend the rest of the day actually "doing"

    For yoghurt, you just need some milk and a yoghurt starter. Get the best milk you can, preferably non-homogenised, and you need a live culture yoghurt, otherwise there will be no little critters in it. I just pour a liter of milk into a pot, and heat it until it's just about boiling, but don't let it burn. Then you just leave it to cool, until you can put your finger in it within having to pull it straight back out. When it's that cool, add one big tablespoon of yoghurt (that's all you need, and it works better with that amount than anything larger) and stir it in well. The initial heating is just to make your end result thicker.

    Then pour your mixture into a tub or whatever, cover it, and keep it warmish for about 8-12 hours, although longer if you want. The recipes I followed say to keep it in an oven on the lowest temperature setting to give the yoghurt monsters the best conditions for spreading, but I tend to put the tub in the oven (43 degrees centrigade is optimum temp.) for about 30 mins, then just wrap it in some blanket or sheet and leave it in my airing cupboard which is the warmest place in my house. I usually do this in the day, and leave it overnight. You'll be surprised in the morning! It's amazing how quickly and totally it spreads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the recipe. i assume its in one of the books i have. it certainly sounds familiar. i'll be trying it out soon (got the non-homogenized milk already!)

    ReplyDelete