Monday, September 15

So, here's an overview of some of the things I did during the Nature of the Village open space:

  • bird language sits (I now know what a wren tit and a stellar jay sound like, but more importantly I understand that songbirds are either content (referred to as baseline) or alarmed, that they only sing when content, and they use more simple chirping for both other contented activities and alarms, that it's the intensity of those more simple chirps to listen for that will tell you if they are alarming. Oh, and that's all important because bird alarms can be used while hunting both to let you know what other animals are in the area, and conversely, whether or not those animals know that you are in the area or not. Songbirds are the security systems of nature. You've got to be careful, or you'll trip the alarm and every deer or rabbit or whoever will immediately sprint away.)
  • We slaughtered a sheep, which provided the meat for most of our dinners for the week. I witnessed the kill, and I helped in the skinning and quartering parts of the processing (I also helped render fat). So strange to have eaten meat for 20 years and to have this be the first time I've directly witnessed the death of the animal that goes to feed me. I look forward to taking an even more direct role as time goes on.
  • I made progress on the carving of my first bow. It'll be shootable in the next couple days, hopefully.
  • I picked and ate a lot of evergreen huckleberries for pemmican making (they're everywhere at Cedar Grove!), with the occasional salal berry found and thrown in for good measure.
  • I assembled a bow drill fire kit and got sore trying to start a fire. I think I'll get it down pretty quick as I find more refined materials. I need a wider drill and a smoother bow (I'll probably just carve down the one I have). I also need to find the best position for my gangly self to hold the drill steady so it won't wobble and so I can put as much pressure as is necessary to get that coveted black smoking powder (if the powder is grey or brown, it's not enough pressure)
  • I learned the very basics of flintknapping- stone breaks at a 45 degree angle from the direction of impact. also, you need to strike on a face of the stone angled towards you- it doesn't take much force, just the right angles. Also, obsidian shards are really really sharp, the dust from knapping can give you silicosis, and improper technique can give you tendonitis and/or carpal tunnel.
  • We looked at some tracks and scat- deer, fox, elk, bobcat, and bear
  • Went out on the umiak, and paddled a kayak for the first time, both of the skin on wood frame design.
  • played bamboo swordthrowing games, and spolin games - very good medicine for me. both work on building one-mindedness and sensory awareness. cut the pauses, and magic happens in the space between you and the people around you.
  • harvested mussels from the beach; played giddily in the freezing cold surf of the pacific ocean
  • ate and helped cook amazing delicious meals. 
  • ate ripe figs right off the tree (yet another first; certainly not the last first . . .)
Also, our group will be keeping a blog where we will be documenting what we are doing. I might end up cross posting either from there to here or vice versa. The name we chose for our group is Earth Ninjas.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Tom. This is Ender in Gallup, NM. I'm just checking in with you to see how you're doing. Drop me a line when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome, it really does, minus the bit about it being umpteen-thousand miles away. Of all the "programs" out there that I retain something of an interest in, this is the only one I could actually see myself gaining energy from instead of having it sucked out. These things you mention are "the real" education that we both missed out on. Just a brotherly reminder, (if you will accept it) don't forget where your heart is. I know I did when I moved to Teaching Drum, and it ended up burning me out even more.

    "Earth ninjas" sounds like awesomely silly silly awesomeness.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good time... keep on learnin' and experiencin'...

    ReplyDelete