Saturday, October 11

I have a tattoo. I finally went through with getting one at the beginning of this past summer, just a few days before I went on my bike trip. I wanted to get it then as a kind of rite of initiation to help usher me into the next phase of my story. My friend Mary gave it to me, stick 'n' poke style (that is, a never-before used sewing needle that has been sterilized by flame is stuck into the eraser end of a pencil, floss wrapped around down the length of it, and dipped in black india ink. and then it's just a lot of poking. she went over it five times. my skin took it really well, she said). It didn't hurt nearly as bad as I was expecting, but it still hurt a lot. It was interesting to feel the difference in the sensitivity of skin as she got closer to the (apparently very delicate) crook of my arm.

The tattoo is of the word "beast". It is placed on the inside of my right forearm, right where I can see it all the time, if I'm not wearing long sleeves. I didn't decide on what to get indellibly marked on my body until right before I had it done, but of course, I had been brainstorming for a while. I wanted to have something that would remind me that I am alive and that I will die eventually, so I need to live it up in this moment. I was thinking about several options- "memento mori" (remember that you are mortal), "memento vivere" (remember that you must live), simply the words in english "you will die" (which is a bit grim), and the word "animal". I finally decided on beast via looking up the etymology of the word animal, because I knew that animal was a latin-based word, and there must have been another word for animal in the english language before latin invaded it. And beast was that word!



I really like it.

It does what it is intended to do for me. And it has the connotation of referring to someone who is powerful and a force to be reckoned with, which is something for me to aspire towards, haha! And something I didn't consider at the time but is kind of cool is that I have the mark of the beast on me. Hah!, I've left myself behind. Thanks but no thanks, heaven. This world is good enough for me. I'm having too much fun doing my beasty thing.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm not going to heaven either. Maybe we can pal around together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, we'd use the word "beast" on my soccer team to describe someone who was really strong, or someone who had beastly skills. It was even a verb: "oh damn, he got beasted".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. You have the mark of the BEAST. Literally. That's fucked up. I'm mean, in a totally awesome kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's spooky how much I relate to this post! I started calling my man "Beast" without really thinking about what it meant - I just knew he was a big hairy bear and reminded me of the Beast in Beauty & The Beast.

    But man, he is a powerful force to be reckoned with. And his motto is "Live like you're dying." He is a predator. He makes me feel like a little bunny...

    ReplyDelete