Friday, January 23

being liberal

I just started to read the Al Franken book, Lies and the Lying Liars who tell them. I believe just reading the first 10 or so chapters somehow had a significant effect on me (of which im not yet sure whether the effect is positive or negative). On my website, under the politics heading, I formerly proclaimed myself to be moderately liberal, which, I felt, adequately represented my views. Upon beginning to read the book, I developed the urge to delete the word "moderately", which I have just done. Somehow, by reading the book, I was pushed over the edge to clearly see that I am, in fact, rather liberal instead of only moderately liberal. I feel, as a result, as though I am suddenly more confident, my opinions are much stronger or more solid. I feel like I have a knot of energy in the middle of my chest. I believe all of this is because I just also clearly defined an enemy, the conservatives. I do not wish to create enemies. Doing so is a fault derived from original sin and is against true human nature. I have many conservative friends, and I don't want to suddenly only see them as conservative enemies or opponents. Somehow, I need to be able to be comfortable with my views (especially when they are strongly liberal) and not judge those around me because of differing views. I think just stating that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment