Friday, March 26

major trouble

with thinking about colleges, ive also been thinking about majors. its kinda an important part of the whole college experience. to focus your efforts to learn an area of knowledge in which you can excel the most. and with my personal strengths and preferences in mind, i was thinking about something like philosophy or religion. but then i realized that im not really interested in learning all the different types of philosophy and how they are used or all the rituals and doctrines that come with religion. as much as i enjoy thinking about complex things, im not really interested in being an intellectual. in thinking for the sake of thinking. when i think about those complicated issues, its so that i can understand the issue, take a particular position on that issue, and then act on my new understanding and opinion on that issue with regards to relating to other people. despite my introvertedness which makes my relating with other people slightly awkward (at least for myself), i have a drive to relate, to connect, to apply what i have thought about to how i live. so with regards to my major, i need something that will allow me to grow in my capacity to think intelligently but also direct my application of the results of my thinking toward my relating to people. and above any of this is the intense desire for whatever i do to have some positive impact on those people with whom im relating. to work, in broad terms, towards a greater world, to bring God's kingdom to earth.
i guess philosophy and religion can do that. but i dont like to concentrate so much on specifics and details. i like the big picture. so i get stuck when trying to process all the details. such detail arent the type of thing i enjoy thinking about. i guess i dont really know enough about how philosophy and religion majors work to be making these judgements, so i'll stop making them for now. but these are the things im thinking about with regards to majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment