Thursday, October 14

Nature and the deceleration of my life

Today, it has been raining and in the high 50s. One of the things I love about Cross Country is that we run in any weather. Well, not when the weather is actually dangerous (like lightening), and last I checked, getting wet does not cause humans to melt. So we ran today. It was a timed run (where the pace doesn't really matter at all), then some long striders (aka sprints. well, almost), then a few hill repeats. Thursdays are normally hard (ie fast) practices, so this was actually a nice compromise on a rainy day.

The reason why I'm blogging about this practice is because it was fun. Or at least, I had fun doing it. It is so much fun to jump in puddles. To get my shoes soaked. To get all muddy.

When we started our timed run, my group's agenda was rather split between having fun/avoiding work (or any actual running) and focusing on hammering out the workout as instructed in spite of the weather conditions. A difference in agenda that eventually led to a split in the group. And I was happily in the middle, running as much as the focused people, but having fun, seeking out big puddles to splash through. So I just wanted to write this down as a reminder to myself of how much fun I can have with the right attitude, even while getting done what needs to get done.

Plus, nature is just wonderful. That's another thing about Cross Country. I get to spend at least two hours of every day outdoors in a huge park. The other day, I was on another run, and I passed a tree changing colors. It was still green in parts, then some yellow, some orange, a lot of red. And I was able, while still running, to just be so thankful to God for creating Creation. This is an accomplishment to do while running because being thankful at that moment meant a lot of arm gesturing towards the heavens.

I've also been noticing when I drive that the most beautiful and welcoming neighborhoods are the ones with huge trees growing every 30 feet. The more nature is left untouched, the more beauty can be found.


I road my bike yesterday to school and back home, which is about 6 or 7 miles. It took about 45 minutes. And I really like the pace of life that riding a bike requires. Or walking, or riding a bus. I think technology that makes everything fast and easy takes away so many opportunities to slow down and appreciate the life that is going on around you, whereas simpler modes of transportation or of eating or of doing any mundane activity forces you to slow down and take life in.

This post is the fulfillment of a habit I said I would like to start of keeping track of things that have an influence on me. Hopefully there will be more to come, if school allows. Speaking of school, that post several days ago was me needing to vent. But I have realized that my values have changed with relation to school. Getting straight A's is no longer something of absolute importance to me. I'm much more interested in having what I learn guide me to a better way of living. With a value shift comes a shift in priorities, and apparently, a shift in grades. School is a great thing. Education is certainly a very valuable thing to work towards. But the mind and all I have learned will eventually fade with my memory. My soul on the other hand, is eternal. My efforts to maintain and improve each should be distributed accordingly. I just wanted to tone down my raging of my school/idol post now that exam week has afforded me a clearer head and ample time to reopen communication with God. Thanks for your prayers.

Have fun; slow down; splash in puddles.

No comments:

Post a Comment