Saturday, October 9

My education: a form of idolatry?

I'm now nearing the end of the first quarter of the school year. And I'm having some trouble appreciating the education I'm getting. Or supposed to be getting, if I weren't sleep-deprived.

That's right, Tom Campbell is struggling with school. Well, two classes in particular, but I see a broader problem in the system. The reason that I've been struggling in these two classes (Shakespeare and AP Modern European History, if you were wondering) is that I procrastinate.

And I procrastinate in order to overcome my perfectionism (if I wait until the last minute, I am finally able to let go of my expectation of perfection. I know; I'm sick. It's definitely a habit I want to break). But that is a separate issue.

I put off the homework by doing the things that I actually want to be doing. (This most affects these two classes because the assignments are long term or without a definite due date, allowing me to procrastinate the most on these assignments.) This is stuff like reading and writing emails (to continue to maintain and develop friendships), reading, blogging/reflecting/pondering. I also spend a lot of time on my theology homework because I enjoy and get the most out of that class. I feel that that class is the most relevant to my life, so I do that homework first, I spend more time doing it, and I even read ahead because I find the material so interesting/relevant.

I also on occasion have to spend more than the usual amount of time focusing on physical needs. With being in the midst of my Cross Country season, my body needs this attention. Some nights, especially after a hard workout, I simply need to nap before I could possibly do homework. Or sometimes I sense that I haven't been getting enough (or have been burning too many, via running) calories, so I have to spend more time snacking and eating dinner.

My question is, why should I not be able to do all of these other things that are important and/or necessary and also be able to do all of my homework? The problem I see with this system of education is a simple one. Too much "learning" or material to cover is being demanded in too small of a time. I should be able to go to school, participate in cocurricular activites, do all of my homework, do other things that are important to my growth as a person that are outside of school, AND get a full night of sleep.

School crams as much education as possible into the nine months of the school year, and then we have 3 months of summer in which nothing is demanded of my brain. I suppose I'm recognizing the benefits of a year-round school calendar. I know I could use the three months of summer much more productively than I have in the past. But I have a problem with internal motivation. It's another good habit that I need to develop. Perhaps I'm just having a major problem with time management. I do admit that I am guilty of misusing some of my time and that is a part of my problem. But I don't see the things I've named above as a misuse of time, and therefore, I don't see why I have to struggle to fit them in.

A couple weeks ago, realizing how badly I was doing in a few of my classes, I gave in and stopped trying to keep up with these other important things in order to completely focus on my schoolwork and try to salvage the quarter. Is that what is expected of me: to give all of my attention and energy to school? Without the extra time that I would like to spend on theology class, I have to admit that I have no time or energy to devote to any kind of prayer life or to developing my relationship with God. I missed going to daily mass every day this past week. And when I'm falling asleep of exhaustion before I've even finished all of my homework, there's no way that I could pray at the end of my day. Something is seriously wrong when I have to make my education a god.

I will be working to correct the things that I am doing wrong on my part, but I expect more than that is needed. I ask that you pray for me, that I have enough time to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment