Tuesday, November 30

Fruit, watches, cooking

One of the primary reasons that I am am vegetarian is because of the pain inflicted upon factory farmed animals. Hence, my general rule is, "I don't eat anything that had nerves." Then watching FernGulley, the last rainforest (which I do realize is a children's movie) , one of the fairies talks about the tree's pain when being killed by saws and pollution and other destructive means. So that got me thinking, do trees really feel pain? They don't have a nervous system of any kind to my knowledge. But they are alive. This made me think back to several weeks ago when I researched fruitarianism, in which the people eat only raw fruit and nuts. It isn't a practical diet at all (almost everyone who attempts it pretty much has to stop for health reasons after 2 years or so), but the philosophy behind it is reasonable (for me at least). Well, at least part of it. They don't eat any cooked food because it apparently poisons the food. There is going to be some poisons in any food you eat in any form or preparation, so I don't see their point there. But back to what I understand about this diet. Fruitarians don't even eat vegetables because (well, most vegetables are cooked, but besides that...) eating the vegetable kills the whole plant, requiring you to replant it perennially whereas fruits grow on trees or bushes or vines. The whole plant isn't destroyed by you eating part of it. Also replanting vegetables requires large fields of crops, which destroys natural environments, replacing them with a void of biodiversity (esp. considering "weed" killers and insecticides). As I said, not practical, just interesting.

Completely switching topics, more on my opinion on watches. I've noticed since I stoped wearing one that I feel both liberated and dependent. I'm liberated from feeling like I always need to be secure in the fact that I know exactly what time it is. But I also feel more dependent on grounded clocks for when I actually do need to know the time (because I still have to comply to the schedule of school). I like that dependency. It is reminiscent of towns in Europe where the only clock was on the tower of the cathedral. A practical need drew people towards church/God. So I'd like to find other ways of becoming dependent that draw me by voluntary necessity (if that made any logical sense) closer to God.

Karen House was great last night. I'm beginning to learn the names of people that live there. With four lessons in cooking under my belt (cloth belt of course), I'm getting less and less apprehensive about cooking on my own (beyond boiling water and cooking pasta, that is). Now all I need is more time during my evenings. hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment