Sunday, October 30

yep, I definitely still don't know

It has been over a month since I last blogged. I've kind of been riding the thought-waves of the previous two posts. I've gotten some feedback (in person) from several very important and influential people in my life, and I'm definitely continually getting more and more confused. So as always, I'm going to try to straighten some of this shit out (how's that for a thesis).

My good friend and former seventh grade teacher, Tracey, offered the theory that I never rebelled from authority as a child or teenager, so this is a rather late manifestation of the need to rebel- a rite of passage, if you will. I can definitely see that. Although, I would like to move from reacting to my surroundings (through rebellion) to interacting with my surroundings by creating the context in which I act instead of being shaped by the situation. I don't want to go through my life doing things just because that's the way everyone else is doing it, especially when the way it is being done now does not work.

I am so tired whenever I think about my future because I feel trapped and and lethargic. Let me explain those feelings. With talking with my mom, she basically reached the conclusion that college is so worthwhile (even considering the exorbitant financial cost) that it is still a place at which I should feel worthy of being even if I don't take any sort of convential job (in which I would make money) afterwards. This was comforting for me to hear, but possibly in a bad way. It's the kind of comforting that allows me to become passive. My mom was suggesting that, because I want to learn, college is the best place to do that. The learning is guided and intensive and I have my peers to learn with and from, expanding my horizons at the same time. It's so easy to learn in college. And that is the problem. When things are easily accessible, they loose their value- not their inherent value, but their perceived value, I guess. And it's generally a rule of human nature that we don't work as hard towards less valuable things. Yes, I can consciously choose to be proactive about my education while in college, but it is so easy to be lulled into a routine of simply doing the work to earn the grades. That is, historically, the mode in which I have worked throughout my education. And yes, it does work, but it can't be nearly as beneficial as an education I have worked to gain for myself, learning what I need or want to learn and applying it right away. Most of my education is so abstract that I don't see its usefulness to me (not that I should only learn things that are useful). I have definitely learned something this first half of my first semester of college, but at this level, most of it seems so extraneous. Until I talked with my mom, I was constantly mulling over, considering, worrying, and thinking about my future because it was unknown what my future held beyond december. But as soon as I felt comfortable going along with college, I could feel my mind turn off from planning what I can do next- four years is plenty of time to think. I am a procrastinator. I do not do work until I can feel the squeeze between the rock solid now and the hard place that is deadline. Even if college is worthwhile, I still will always take issue with the fact that it is an education gained through consumption, or more directly put, that I am consuming an education. That is not in line with a core belief of mine, which can be summed up when necessary as voluntary poverty (or simplicity). By chance, I have been put into a loving family that happens to live in the richest, most powerful country in the world. None of that was earned or acheived by me. I do not deserve it. My mom suggests I consider the opportunity to receive a college education as gift, but it is a gift I am compelled to refuse because it is not a gift given to all. I don't propose to have everyone get an equal ration of education somehow as in communism, but I also can't go about my daily life consuming so much, profiting off of unjust institutions so much when the majority of the people of the world and basically all of what is left of the biosphere is put at such a disadvantage because of it. It is a paradox with which I cannot live to both wish to work towards greater justice in the world and to be a willing (if passive) member of the systems that cause the injustice. For my work study, I get paid minimum wage ($5.15 per hour) to do basically nothing while women in Bangladesh get paid 3 cents an hour to work for 12 or more hours straight, doing a repeated task under threat of violence or being fired if they don't work fast enough. This is allowed to happen because the fundamental and supreme value in any "developed" country is profit, no matter who or what gets hurt in its pursuit. And I cannot see how a liberal arts education is aiding me in fighting against this supreme value. My mom concluded her arguments in favor of college by reminding me to judge whether something I am doing is worthwhile or not by judging if it is life-giving. I'm having a hard time seeing how life is being given in college. But for now, I will give it another semester, mostly because I still have no clue how I can support myself- no concrete plans, only talk and theories at this point. I hate making idle threats, and it's not easy leading a life in continual conflict over my current status. I suppose I need to start small- take back my life in little ways every day. I'll end this post, for now, with a poem by Hank.

your life is your life
don't let it be clubbed into dank
submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the
darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you
chances.
know them, take them.
you can't beat death but
you can beat death
in life,
sometimes.
and the more often you
learn to do it,
the more light ther will
be.
you life is your life.
know it while you have
it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in
you.

3 comments:

  1. Consuming an education? Considering you're just a Freshman who don't know diddle, like every other Freshman not homeschooled, that's all you can do. You can't produce your education, as you've yet -- t o -- b e -- e d u c a t e d !!

    Jesus must be rolling over in his grave at the thought that He places some souls in families willing to sacrifice to see it succeed, but rather than being thankful for the gift, the soul diminishes the value of the gift because others can't be given the same gift.

    You are absolutely correct that you didn't earn, nor achieve, nor deserve it. That's why it's called a gift, EARNED by the labor of others so that you can get an education and can produce something of value as an adult, whether it's in service to others or in making something tangible that can be used by others. Your response should be profound GRATITUDE. Man! you need to experience firsthand some real suffering to appreciate your good fortune.

    If you choose to act on being "compelled to refuse" your education, you will have truly succeeded in embracing your core beliefs of voluntary poverty, but it will be a poverty of wisdom.

    And prepare yourself for the crappy hours, blistered hands and general fatigue experienced by those entering the workforce with NO marketable skills. Row well and live.

    ** Suggestions on improving the life of Bangladeshi women:

    -- Pray for them, since they are being culturally oppressed by Islam, which views them as mere chattel. This is not a perversion of "true" Islam, but simply is what Islam is. History and Islam's spokespeople revel and boast of this reality, despite the west's foolishness is believing otherwise. Read, read, read to learn the truth. Pray, pray, pray to change hearts.

    -- Become a champion of human rights and travel to Bangladesh to help do the same. However, because "human rights" is anathema to Islam, you will most likely have your head removed with a sword by those doing Allah's bidding.

    -- Buy products produced in Bangladesh. By doing so, you are 'trickling down' your money to her through the taskmasters. Her life and world will improve financially, albeit slowly...like my grandparents who worked 90 years ago for the same salary as she..., but the freer market system she lives in will raise all boats (irrespective of the boat's size or oppulence) than the alternative to the free market, which has been historically proven to be a sham, whether it's Fascism or Communism.

    I'd choose the first and third.

    ...and Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in response to uncle's comment above,

    i argue that i do know diddle. i have graduated from a jesuit high school in the top quarter of my class. as i've already said at some point, i am vastly more "educated" than the majority of the world. i do not wish to be a professional student (always a student, never a professional). i realize that an education cannot be produced, that even when i read a book, i am consuming that book. i was objecting to specifically purchasing an education. an education cannot be produced, no. but it can be experienced. hands-on. interacting with the world. trial and error. that kind of thing.

    jesus? grave? i thought jesus kind of blew that popsicle stand a while ago. maybe i am being an asshole for not being grateful for all of the help my family is giving me to go to college. but i know my family also has always encouraged me to live out what i believe, and part of what i believe is that when people are experiencing an injustice, you cannot pull them up from above. i do not want to be above other people, and a college education is something distinctive. it separates and alienates. this doesnt mean i dont want to strive to be my best. but i dont think college is an adequate place to do that striving.

    so basically i want to experience
    some real suffering to appreciate my good fortune. but i in no way intend to become a wage slave by my actions. my overarching goal is to become self-sufficient (within a community) so as to not need to use money at all. i do NOT want to market my skills. i do NOT want my skills to be considered marketable. i know i have a lot of work in front of me to realize this dream, but very little of what i learn in college is going to help me get there.

    ok, helping bangledeshi women...
    as a character in the play, whispers from the streets, said, "if prayer was enough, the problem would have been resolved a long time ago" (that was more a paraphrase than a quote). if you are a christian, then you believe that you are the hands and feet of God. you are responsible for getting out there and doing something about the evil you see in the world. prayer and hope are ways of passing the buck to God (that's not to discredit prayer and hope, but you can't rely on passively convoking God or the saint to act for you).

    i dont appreciate how you demonize islam. women certainly are oppressed in islamic countries, but that is an abuse of or bastardization of islam. i also dont appreciate you trying to scare me with the rather remote possibility of martyrdom. many of the people we revere most in our culture were martyrs (mlk, gandhi, jesus). honestly, i dont want to die for a cause; i dont have a martyr complex, but im not going to let the danger of situations i enter deter me. great success requires great risk (paraphrase of bobby kennedy, i believe).

    trickle down theory is a political farce. i will not buy in to the capitalist system in any way. i understand that if i were wanting to make money, how i should not boycott clothes that come from sweatshops, but i intend to reject the whole hog, so acting through my money will not be an option. so i am basically choosing option two, which i would actually describe as direct action. i dont konw what being a champion of human rights would entail, but the word champion does not resonate well in my humble bones.

    i agree that communism and fascism is a sham. but there is a third alternative to the free market (which is a rather paradoxical term to begin with...i've never gotten anything free from a market before), that alternative is no market at all. sorry if i just blew your mind right there, but imagine a world without cut-throat competition, without the god of production, without destruction of life. just to give you a glimpse of what could take the place of the "free market"...two words, gift economy (sounds much more christian, eh?)

    i wish you peace (when you aren't busy praying and buying to end the injustice bangledeshi women suffer)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan wrote: "Consuming an education? Considering you're just a Freshman who don't know diddle, like every other Freshman not homeschooled, that's all you can do. You can't produce your education, as you've yet -- t o -- b e -- e d u c a t e d !!"

    You know, by now I shouldn't be surprised to see something like this, but it surprises me every time. There is NOTHING that pisses me off more than this -- the belief that somehow I know absolutely nothing because I am younger than someone. Unbelievable! Inconceivable! But apparently that word does not mean what I think it means.

    Dan, you have apparently yet to be educated that people mine and Tom's age are human, and our feelings and thoughts and ideas on life are just as valid as anyone else's.

    Dan wrote: "Your response should be profound GRATITUDE. Man! you need to experience firsthand some real suffering to appreciate your good fortune."

    I am SO sick and tired of being told I'm obligated to be thankful. Ran Prieur wrote something about that --

    "We have given you a great gift," the creature seethed, seeming less and less like the nice astronomer. "We have worked billions of years and chosen you as our heir. Is that how you thank us?"

    "Now you sound like my parents again. 'We've worked our whole lives on the assumption that you wanted to be in a shiny cage, so you'd better stay in there and like it.' I'm sorry you had to do all that stuff that you clearly didn't like, but it stops here."

    And as for the comment about needing to experience some real suffering -- I have experienced plenty. But I have been continually invalidated to the point where I would even invalidate my own suffering, since it couldn't be REAL, right?! Since I was just some "spoiled rich white male American kid" who'd "never had any experience in the Real World(TM)".

    What you're saying doesn't make any sense, Dan -- "you need to experience some REAL suffering, so that you know what good fortune you have, so that you don't suffer." "Suffer NOW or else you'll suffer LATER" is an okay strategy to pursue in the right circumstances -- but pursuing it all your life? That's straight up absurd. And one might argue that the suffering stops at one point, but I'm convinced through and through that the whole future happiness thing is a carrot dangled in front of your face that you'll never be able to reach. It's never going to get any closer.

    Lastly, the comment about Tom having to suffer through "crappy hours... and general fatigue" reminds me of my days in school more than anything else.

    Tom -- I understand the guilt you feel for contributing to the problems of others. But it's one of those things Alan Watts has helped me understand with the "backwards law" -- guilt is paralyzing and doesn't help you change. Guilt is in the complete opposite direction from empowerment, and is a hallmark more of despair than of awareness. Motivating myself by guilt for much of my life, I've deeply internalized feelings of inadequacy that are now making it extraordinarily difficult for me to change. I have really struggled with discovering what I have to offer -- because all my life I've felt like a blight on this earth. A plague. My presence was part of the disease of prosperity, and I would become a mental ascetic, punishing myself for my feelings of impurity.

    These are the feelings of inadequacy that come up any time I question what I have to offer to a tribe. These are the feelings of inadequacy that being told all of my life that I was never old enough or good enough have continually reinforced. It's time to recognize our adequacy, Tom, and let go of trying to appease everyone or God with this unattainable and self-destructive goal of purity. That is what inner peace and empowerment are all about.

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete