Saturday, March 25

Book report

I had to write a paper recently for my biology class, The Diversity of Life. The paper was actually a book report, and the book we (were supposed to have) read was entitled The Diversity of Life. I did read the first 100 pages, and then skimmed the rest, as I had of course procrastinated until the day before it was due to even attempt to finish reading the book. The book is worthy of my full attention at some point in the future. Anyway, for this book report, we were asked to write about how the topic of the book (encapsulated nicely in the title) relates, first, to our society, and then, directly to me. It was actually fun to write, so I wanted to share it with you. It was supposed to be four pages long (1.5 spaced), but mine came out to just over 3 (working up to right before class, you know?). Nevertheless, I scored a 95, whatever that means. So here is my paper...

expand to read the full post


Civilization is killing the planet. Well, not so much the planet but rather the thin veil of life that covers every inch of the planet. Life is both very delicate and very resilient, and civilization is putting both of those claims to the test. Edward Wilson’s book, The Diversity of Life, seeks to describe this life, how it works and evolves, and what relationship we, as humans, have to it. The way I just worded that last sentence is very telling, revealing an insight into the root of the problem we are now facing, the decimation of the biological systems of the world that allow us to exist. What is telling is that distinction made between humans and the rest of the biological world, as if we are not a part of it, as if we are above it, as if we are gods. By viewing the biosphere as something distinct from humanity, something that we can be extracted from and govern over, we make ourselves prone to the very dangerous mistake of viewing the earth as simply a resource to be exploited instead of the mother, who made life for all of us possible, that she really is.

The topic discussed in the book has very severe and important implications for our present society, or more widely, for our global civilization. Humans are very much part of the biosphere. We are mammals. We are animals. Simply because we have the mental capability to recognize that fact does not remove us from our interdependence with every other species on the planet. The most prominent and immediate manifestation of this interdependence and our corresponding warped attitude towards the biological world is in our procurement of food. Ten thousand years ago, before the Agricultural Revolution, humans were hunter-gatherers. They lived off the fruit of the land, just as every other animal does, secure with a faith in Nature’s bounty. Then, a strange thing happened. Suddenly, one group of people lost their faith that Nature would always provide them with the food they need to survive, so they attempted to take matters into their own hands and produce all of the food they needed by themselves. This loss of faith was the biological equivalent of blasphemy, with humans proclaiming themselves gods, complete with knowledge of what species should live (those that directly contribute as food for humans) and what species should die (any species that is in the way of or competes with humans and their food sources). Thus, intensive agriculture was spawned, with monoculture fields that wipe out all diversity, providing humans with a surplus of food – but a surplus constantly threatened by diseases (since there is no diversity in the fields to offer any protection). Ironically, by assuming control over the production of food for the security of that supply, humans introduced famine upon themselves for the first time. In the past, when food was short, one could simply move on to new lands, but sedentary people of agriculture have that option closed to them. Nevertheless, those that adopt agriculture as a way of life do obtain a surplus of food, as all available land is being directed towards food for humans, neglecting all other species in the ecosystem. That surplus begins a vicious cycle of population growth and increase in the available food supply, a cycle which eventually leads to the population explosion we have on our hands now, overshooting the carrying capacity of the planet.[1]

Our species is in a very precarious position now, as we continue to act as though our actions have no serious consequences for the rest of the life on this planet or even for ourselves, when in reality, this behavior on our part has begun the sixth great extinction period in the history of the planet, and at a much faster rate. As a species often considered to be on the top of the food chain, wiping out the foundational species below is not good practice if we desire to stay in that position on the food chain – or even to stay around at all. Indeed, we are not actually on the top of a food chain because there is no top. The energy and fire of life passes through this world as a web, not as a hierarchical chain. Such images of dominance are again products of the fundamental division between humans and the rest of the biosphere, as we choose to ignore the fact that we do indeed get eaten upon death by bacteria and plants and scavenging animals.

Our current society and civilization is built upon the assumptions of human separateness and superiority that are now most clearly showing themselves to be very deleterious to the continuation of life on earth. I do not see how such a civilization can be changed or reformed in any way to revert such direct consequences of our foundational myth. Our current population and way of life is being propped up by technological complexity and cheap energy in the form of petroleum, but petroleum production will peak very soon. After that, it is only a short time before the comforts of civilization that we have become so accustomed to will not only not be sustainable – they will not even be possible (not on the scale that they are today, at least). Society, then, should prepare for a great many changes in the future, in both the status of the biological world and in how our relation to it is felt and perceived. It’s time for us to wake up to the reality of our situation. We are animals, currently biting off the hand that feeds us. We need to first acknowledge the first statement, and then stop the second.

I am an animal. I am a very small part of the biological world. I contribute to the diversity of life by simply existing. Admittedly, that contribution is infinitesimally small considering that I am a member of an omnivorous species that has an inordinate number of individuals, 6.5 billion, and growing (exponentially). Also, any small amount of diversity I might bring to an ecosystem is cancelled out many times over at the moment by the way of life that I have been raised in this society to lead. Even though within the context of the United States, my family is very much a middle class family, when the context is expanded to the rest of the world, my family if immensely rich. We lead lives of extreme comfort and ease compared to the majority of the world. This situation is the product of a capitalist system – the few living very well upon the backs of the many. I have read the “State of the Village Report,” and I have taken the online ecological footprint quiz. I am well aware that my lifestyle is outrageously unjust and unsustainable. According to the quiz, if everyone were to live the same way that I live, there would need to be 3 earths to support the demand. And that is with being a vegetarian of two years and no longer owning a car. One of my lifelong goals is to not only no longer contribute to the continued destruction of the earth through the way I daily live my life but to also begin to reverse the process and find effective ways to increase diversity in the ecosystem in which I live. This is the whole idea behind permaculture – beyond simply gardening to provide a portion of my food, I want to encourage the development sustainable and functional ecosystems. This summer, I will be visiting an eco-village in northeastern Missouri called Dancing Rabbit, visiting with the intent of exploring the possibility of moving there and beginning to enact my dream and goal of more than sustainable living. In this way, I also hope to prepare for the impending collapse of civilization (because all civilizations are destined to collapse – such complexity is never indefinitely sustainable). My grand scheme to “save the world” is simply to walk away from participation in those institutions that diminish diversity and learn about or create a new way of living that increases diversity.

This book, The Diversity of Life, presents a very good and thorough account of the beauty and necessity of diversity. It shows how life is created and proliferated through evolution, how diversity comes out of that evolution and strengthens the hold life has on earth, and then how humans have set out to unintentionally destroy that diversity for their own benefit. This book is a call to action, crying out as a wake up call to a people put asleep by the drug of material affluence, or the seeking of such affluence. I hope more people are listening.



[1] My understanding of the Agricultural Revolution and its consequences was influenced by not only The Diversity of Life, but also Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn.


7 comments:

  1. I'm listening. I just profoundly disagree with your conclusions and logic by which you come to the conclusions.

    After 25 years of 'adulthood' I conclude that life is wonderful, parents should have as many children as God wishes to bless them with and that the way to make things better for humankind is not an egalitarian impoverishing of everyone so as to spread the misery, but using knowledge and technology to materially lift up those who are impoverished, and using faith as the internal guide to limit the drug of material affluence.

    - Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to your blog and have read alot of your thoughts here. You seemed to be a very confused young man. Apparently this "Dan", sounds like someone who is greatly concerned for you and really cares about your well being. He has made some very valid points in response to your thoughts. You seem to dismiss them too easily. You need some guidance and help during this state of confusion you seem to be in at the present time. You seem to put alot of stake in mythical writings of some people in your search for some kind of meaning for your life. The devil is playing havoc with your life right now and you do not seem to see it for what it is. Your thinking seems clouded with this ideal living situation you are seeking as it seems to be a "feel good" situation for you. While I do not know you personally and I may be wrong here, you need to seek some guidance to help you through this time of turmoil for you. Instead of trying to hurry up and learn how to live sustainably (so that you will not "die" should there be a collapse anytime soon), you need to be more concerned, first and foremost, with what will happen should you die right now with your lack of faith in God. God will provide for you. You have to believe in Him. He takes care of His people. There is no need for you to be afraid and run. Take time to meditate and reflect on your relationship with God and you will find the answers you are searching for. He has the answers. Do not be afraid and quit running. Once you put God back in your life again, you will find your true happiness. You seem so confused and searching for an easy life. The devil is knocking at your door and you've opened it. I noticed you do not like anonymous posts, while I regret remaining anonymous, I do not think it necessary to leave my name. It is not important who I am. What is important is that someone out there is praying for your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also would like to ask you what your parents are like, if you wouldn't mind sharing. Are they christians? How do they respond to your ideas? Are they accepting of your ideas? Are they worried about your soul, your faith, your happiness? Are they okay with you quitting college? How do other people that may know you well respond to your ideas and logic?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Dan, What is your e-mail as I would love to converse with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncle Dan, please link your e-mail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, either you are very persistent about getting my uncle's email address, or you are seeing an example of why it is helpful to leave a name, so as to distinguish from commenter-vandals. Perhaps you could offer your email and he could contact you? just a suggestion... (oh, but then I might be able to identify you. we wouldn't want that, now would we?)

    Anyway, on to the meat of your comment(s)...

    For someone who is "new to my blog," you seem to have a vested interest in where my soul is going to end up. thanks(?), I guess, for your concern, but really, is it any of your business?

    Of course, I know the answer to that question because I used to be christian. I am well aware that everyone else's soul is of prime concern to a christian. It's part of the christian mission to go after supposedly stray sheep.

    Or, you do actually have a personal relationship of some kind with me in real life (although i do note that you claim otherwise) and you just don't want to confront me directly (or openly, is more like it). It doesn't matter too much to me either way.

    Your description of the way in which I have become "confused" was rather humorous to me for its correlations to how I see christianity. --putting "alot of stake in mythical writings" (hmm, the bible?), searching "for some kind of meaning in your life" (i'm pretty sure christians are much more concerned with finding "meaning" in their lives than i am. as far as i'm concerned, life has no inherent meaning, but i enjoy giving meaning to my life very much, and that is something I am doing. and then the seeking of a "feel good" situation (what role do you think heaven plays in the minds of christians, if not a way to seek a feel good situation. the difference is, my whole life isn't geared towards some future ultimate goal of attaining eternal bliss. i can attain eternal bliss in this very moment.)

    and then about dying right now... if that were to happen, just as though i lived to an old age, my life and energy would continue on through the food web. the soul you say i should be concerned with is the illusory mental construct each of us have of "I". but in reality, there is no separation into individual souls, so when i die, i will be free of that mental construct that artificially isolates me from the rest of the universe and become One again with that universe. Ooooooooohhhhmmmmm. it will be a joy.

    I am a little afraid, yes. But I am not running away. I am walking away. There's a difference. Also, there is wisdom to be found in insecurity. I do not need the false security of a faith in a god that "will provide for you." again, this statement seems ironic for its parallel to my attempt to begin again to have faith in the biological world (which is as close as I get to holding something or someone as "God") by relying on it to provide me with all that I need (Matthew 6:26 - "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" ...it's only the last sentence that I disagree with in this passage; we are of no more nor no less value).

    I will admit to not being as certain about my future as I once was, and I suppose this could be seen as confusion. I see it as a healthy impovement.

    If you have actually read a lot of my blog, you would know a lot of the answers to the questions you ask in your second comment. but I'll answer anyway. yes, my parent's are christian. i have not gotten a chance to talk in depth about this stuff directly with my dad, but i know that my mom is okay with me dropping college. above all, my parents are concerned with my happiness. certainly, i'm sure they are concerned about my soul as well (as they are in fact christians, and that just comes with the territory), but they are giving me the space to do my own searching. my mom stepped away from the church for a time when she was in her twenties, and then she returned, and she is seeing this as analogous to the pattern of her story. it might be. we'll see. and as for your last question, it's a tricky one, because very few people actually know me well. hell, i'm still working on knowing me well. i've been covered up in so many masks ascribed to me since birth that it is taking a while to climb out of them to see who "me" is. so the verdict is still out on who actually knows me well at all, rendering this question mostly unanswerable. maybe in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan, I am glad that you have found a way of life that works for you. I just hope you can eventually come to be glad for me when I find a way of life that works for me. Or at the very least, we can agree to disagree (which I fear will always be the situation between us).

    ReplyDelete