Wednesday, March 1

Unschooling

A little over a week ago, I was ready to drop out of school immediately. As in, that day, withdrawing, checking out, no looking back. I felt a certain amount of urgency because the last day to receive a partial refund for tuition was quickly approaching. That day has now passed, and I am still enrolled. I will be finishing the semester, but I have partially already mentally dropped out. This means that I am still going to classes and participating and doing the work (for the most part), but it is not the priority at all in my mind anymore. The majority of my energy is now being spent on pursuing my own interests independent from school (this is nothing new; it is just more purposeful now (i.e. no longer dismissed as simply procrastination)). I am also only taking 12 hours (the minimum number to still be a full time student) instead of 15, since I withdrew from a writing class I was in that I found particularly annoying. At this point, I am exploring these interests outside of school mainly through reading, both books and on the internet, and through talking to people (friends, family, teachers, strangers) but also through some direct experience (e.g. food not bombs). I am making definite plans to visit Dancing Rabbit this summer. It is still up in the air at this point whether I will be returning to school next fall. Honestly, if I end up returning, it will only be because of the friends I have here. A possible alternative would be to transfer to a college that might better suit my interests, such as Northland. But more likely, I would drop out completely so as to most fully have the autonomy to explore the formation of another way of living.

School, and especially SLU, is no place to do that. School has a very specific purpose that is hidden under layers of apparent choice and topical learning. But John Taylor Gatto, a veteran teacher, makes very clear what is actually being taught in the educational system by outlining six lessons. These lessons are:

1. Stay in the class where you belong
2. turn on and off like a light switch
3. surrender your will to a predestined chain of command
4. only the teacher determines what curriculum you will study
5. your self-respect should depend on an observer's measure of your worth
6. you are being watched

While I will admit that these lessons are less stringently enforced in college (such as 1, 4 (for some people), and 6), they are all present here to a large degree and therefore greatly inhibit actual learning from taking place.

Daniel Quinn also has a speech online on the topic of schooling. In that, he purports that the main function of schools are to delay a segment of the population that is able to work from actually entering the work force so as to benefit the national economy, both in reducing unemployment rates and in creating a whole new industry from which to profit. Nothing of value is actually taught during those years and years of compulsory education. It is filler to waste time until they can't keep you from working any more. If anything, as Gatto would agree, what schools are teaching are dependence to authority figures, the kind of dependence that makes for good wage slaves, unable to survive without a mind-numbing 9 to 5 job for 40 years because they never actually learned any real skills that could benefit the person supposedly learning in school, skills for autonomy and self-reliance. I am of course not suggesting that we should not be interdependent with each other. That is very much necessary. But that is not the same thing as mindless dependence on abstract entities like corporations and governments.

The alternative is unschooling, where I would need to spend some time and energy to unlearn those six fundamental lessons of school that I have been socialized under for at least 14 years. Through unschooling, I would learn what I am curious to learn, when I want to learn it, at the pace I want to learn it, and through the means that I, and any teachers I may seek out, deem necessary. It would definitely be a lot of work- very engaging and intensive. But it would be a hell of a lot cheaper. And by directing energy towards things that I actually have a personal interest in, it will be a lot more fulfilling and a lot easier to muster inner motivation than what I am experiencing through my current situation.

I am ready to stop following the crowd and start finding my own path (with the help of some friendly scouts that have begun to venture into this forgotten territory).

Edit [3/2/06]: Another good essay on this topic can be found over at The Journal of a Rebel.

20 comments:

  1. i think the no school option is better then the northland option not because it would take you futher away from me but becasue Northland while it may be a better nature school it is STILL 25,000 a year. go to a community college and then explore what the hell you want to do with your life. Travel around. DO the thing you have always wanted to do. ACTUALLY DO IT. there is no use wasting your life at a place where you are unhappy. do what makes you happy and then come back and tell us all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nathan. You're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Get a full-time job for awhile (as much as that sucks) just to see what it's like and what options are available to you now without a degree, and whether you like them or not.

    After all, degree or no degree, work is still an inescapable fact of life, and unfortunately for most people that means a lifetime of wage slavery. So, If you want to evade the plight of wage slavery, the answer lies not in the evasion of work, but in finding work that you enjoy, and that will pay your bills without costing you too much of your time."

    ::GAG! SPEW! WRETCH!::

    I'm sorry, but this is horrible. I liked the other things you had to say but this seems to be acquiescence and complacency... a sure sign of despair in those who were previously idealistic.

    There are so, so, so many options out there that "getting a full-time job (as much as that sucks)" is quite possibly the worst option there is.

    I have more to say but I'll say it in another comment.
    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you 100% with these thoughts.

    I will be yanking myself away from office bondage this year. My new horizons and both promising and terrifying. And, yes, I'm busy unschooling (at age 50). Better late than never!

    Thanks for linking to Sand Dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cym- While I do not have the experience of having to live off of my earnings from a full time job (as I am still young and have the financial support of my family at this point), I do have the experience of what working a full time job is like, in part at least, from my two month stint as a laborer (i.e. everyone else's bitch) for a housing rehab company. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I realize that there is more to wage slavery than the actual job itself, as I obviously was not enslaved to that meager income but was rather saving it for future use in college. But I will give your advice further thought. Thanks.

    Deb- What's your plan? I'm interested to hear. Good luck with the unschooling process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cyn. Tom's post inspired me to discuss my plans a bit at my Sand Dragon blog www.blogcharm.com/sanddragon

    My 1st few months "out" will be one of exploration. Temp jobs, handicrafts, part-time jobs, flea-markets, week-end fairs with crafts....whatever it takes to remain flexible OR a job that I feel is advancing civilization and doesn't suffocate me in a cubicle or grind me down with long work hours. Pretty vague, eh? must make leap anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry. I meant to address "Tom" and I spelled "Cym" wrong.

    PS - In the past, I used to think that I must have a clearcut, common-sense and financially sound plan before I proceed with making life changes. Not so (I now think). Common sense is important, and one must keep finances in mind..but it's not an all or nothing proposition. Sometimes one must make a leap of faith and operate from the gut. I've held myself back countless times trying to tie up all the "loose ends" to make my plans as foolproof as possible. Now I realize I was operating out of a place of fear (of the unknown); and I compromised my potential trying to be as safe as possible. By the way, I think the Bushadmin plays on those same fears and so, ironically, Bushadmin is helping me see my fears for what they really are--illusions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ironic, Cym. I HAVEN'T experienced a full time job. But I have experienced school and I know enough about the wage slavery system to know that it's enough to gag spew and wretch about. I don't know if school slavery or wage slavery is worse and I think it'd be hard to tell definitively. I've experienced more than enough, though, to know that civilization is a complete sham and that you don't need to "test" a wage slavery job to find out how bad it is. Reminds me of this guy who joined the army just to see what it was like -- biggest mistake of his life. (You can read about that here: http://harpers.org/AWOLInAmerica.html) By another analogy you don't need to learn the dangers of guns by shooting yourself a couple of times. That doesn't make any sense at all.

    I appreciate your apology, I took what you were saying a bit personally. People told me all the time that I should either stay in school or get a job and I eventually got really pissed off about that. These are not the only two options, and anything reinforcing the idea that wage slavery is anything remotely approaching a good experience strikes me as appalling. I'm enjoying this analogy thing, so here's another. Blacks in the north should have gone down to the south and subjected themselves to slavery for a couple years just to see what it was like to be free. That would have learned them good. Right? Not really, and I think you'd agree with me about wage slavery too.

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Living at ecovillages or intentional communities, working at internships, finding a patron, vagabonding/being homeless, being a traveling musician, day-trading, starting your own pyramid scheme (hey civilization did it), becoming a con artist, Robin-Hooding it up, becoming a hunter-gatherer (my ultimate goal), being an entrepeneur and starting your own business of any sort -- man the options are endless. You're limited only by your empowerment and your imagination.

    Nothing is going to work for everyone, but that isn't any reason to not do it yourself. If every species tried the same adaptation process in a very short time there would only be one species. Gotta find your niche, is what I'm saying. That's all.

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  14. HA-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha Devin. I always find your comments funny.

    If it wasn't for your convincing reassurances and clearly outlined life paradigm, one might get the impression that you're advocating selfishness (see "Con Artist" and "Pyramid Scheme") or laziness ("vagabonding/being homeless"). And how could anyone in their right mind advocate that? Your subtle irony is hilariously crippling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah man, how could anyone in their right mind advocate the gigantic pyramid scheme of civilization?! I'm right with you on this one big guy.

    And thanks for the compliment. But really, though, I think your posts are funnier. I don't think very many people could top what you've said here.

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Tom,
    Just wanted to pop in and say something. I haven't had a chance to read your blog much, but have heard much about it via Mark. It is exciting to follow your exploration of life and seeking to find your place in this world. We all are on a journey to find happiness. I love you dearly and hope that you continue to search and find where you can be truly happy. I know for me that I have found in school something that truly fascinates me and allows me to grow. I have found this in the study of philosophy and theology. I love going to class and love opening my mind up to the questions of existence and knowledge and what it all means. Good luck with everything. I hope to be around. And if it means anything to you, I have been praying for you everyday. I love you!! Thank you for opening my mind to many things.
    -Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. You really do have a point there, Devin. Some of the happiest people I know have separated themselves from, and reject, society's pyramid scheme, reject materialism and refuse to be swayed by modern culture. And their communities do all this while reaching out to assist the weak and vulnerable who are unable to help themselves.

    You may have heard of them.

    They're called "nuns".

    - Dan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Or monks, of any religion. Or the homeless. Or ecovillagers. Or indigenous peoples.

    What's your point?
    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was just affirming your multilineal thought process, and giving witness to one actuality within my paradigm that I admire. They're very admirable people, many whom I've met, some whom I'm fortunate to be related to.

    It's only one humble example, I know.

    Of the thirteenish examples you've given, are there any you know personally, and what do you admire about their lifestyle?

    ->> Dan <<-

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Susanna,
    Thank you for your good wishes and prayers. I am glad you are happy in school, and I am glad you are supportive of my searching of an alternative to school.

    I'll be honest- I know that all of the change that I have been going through has put a strain on the comfort level of our friendship. I am hopeful that with time, we can be as close friends again as we once were. I feel like the biggest thing we shared in our friendship was our faith, and now that that element has changed, we have to find a new common ground. I will make that effort.
    Good luck with school!

    ReplyDelete