Friday, April 28

The problem

Several weeks ago, I went to a presentation by the beehive collective, in which they told the story of the dark and sordid relationship between the US and Colombia - the "war on drugs," which is an excuse to go in and control the country economically and politically, greatly harming many innocent subsistence farmers when the US accidentally destroys the wrong fields (because it's hard to get the address right from 500 feet up in the air). They went into incredible detail about all of the bad shit that happens there because of "us". The basic message is globalization = bad; local community sufficiency = good.

I watched a documentary last night that I picked up from the library called The end of suburbia. It introduces the coming (or present, if you've been to the pump lately) crisis of peak oil. The rate of production of oil for the world will peak within the next decade, if it hasn't already. This means that the age of cheap energy is over. The lifestyle we developed during that age of cheap energy will no longer be able to be fueled or otherwise sustained. There is no scalable, cheap, fast solution. But we will continue attempting to expand our economy as we always have, an economy completely based on oil and its byproducts. And our economy (our global economy) will crash. The movie says this will end suburbia. I say this will end urbia as well (a.k.a. cities::civis::civilization). I'm looking forward to the possibilities such an involuntary powerdown will open up.

expand to read full post


I watched another documentary earlier tonight, outside, projected on a screen on the side of a building, at New Roots urban farm, called The future of food. The issue here is genetically modified foods, and how they're fucking with the lives of family farmers (because of the patenting of life, and its uncontrollable reproduction and spread to land where the farmer hasn't paid the patent fee. Monsanto is evil.) and with the ecosystems they are introduced to. The scariest part to me, besides what GMOs could be doing to me allergenically, was the idea that terminator seeds (seeds genetically modified to commit suicide - to produce infertile seeds in the next generation, tieing the farmers to the company that makes the seed forever) could cross-breed with wild plants and spread the suicide gene throughout an ecosystem. I cheered when they talked about superweeds overcoming the Roundup herbicide (that the industrial farmers then kill with something similar to agent orange that is known to cause cancer (*cheering dies down*). Everyone outside of North America is scared shitless of GMOs (the governments and the peoples). They are watching Americans to see when they start dropping dead. The documentary goes on to highlight the organic "counterrevolution." The film barely touched on the environmental impact of monocultural farming methods. That's left for another movie, I guess.

Or a book! I recently read Garden Planet, by William H. Kötke. This book is very readable (not quite as intense and detailed as Final Empire). It covers how civilized humans are killing life on earth and how to create a new human culture that will allow humans to gain "biological legitimacy" in basically being worthy of continuing to exist as a species on this planet. I'll just list all of the ways in which we are raping the earth: global warming, the dying oceans, the vanishing soils, desertification, deforestation, water exhaustion/polluting, species extinction, and the human population disaster. More devastating (from my perspective at least) than the economic collapse is the environmental collapse. Humans can live quite well (thrive, actually) without functioning monetary economies, but they can't very well thrive if the earth is too sick to continue to provide food for them. We are omnivores, so there would have to be nothing edible left alive in order for us to starve to death, but such is a possibility with how badly we are screwing up everything we touch (and we, as a global culture, can't keep our grubby little hands off anything). The solution Kötke provides in building a new human culture is based on, guess what!, ecovillages. And the use of permaculture. I was ready for this book. It fit exactly into the path I was already planning to go down. Sometimes people recommend books for me to read because they fit very well into the path they are going down (not me). So while I thought this book was great and think that everyone should be aware of what it has to say about the future of the human species, I will not recommend it to everyone to read. You will not appreciate it until you are good and ready to appreciate it. You will not change until you are ready to change. (And I know the same can be said of me from your perspective, re: things like God, growing up, getting a job).

But the problem is deeper than even the impending collapse of the environment. It is much more personal. Civilization has made us all sick through the core - soul sick. Even if the economy or the environment never fell apart, it would still be imperative to start to heal. The crises ahead are a great opportunity for such healing to take place, but they are not a prerequisite. We learn as children, as babies, from the very beginning, that we are isolated in this culture, alienated, alone. Our needs are not met at all, and so we learn that to survive we must fend for ourselves independently and not trust anyone else. Instead of loving each other, we distrust (a.k.a. fear, lack faith), and that distrust, that inability to understand each other in our uniqueness, leads to hate. We hate those different from us, but in a myriad of ways, we also end up hating ourselves. We become isolated from ourselves. We split within ourselves and become unendingly conflicted. As my self-taught psychologist friend, Devin, has shown me, we need to heal the mind/body split. (I can take no credit for this last paragraph. It's all Devin.) This is "the problem" that I want to "play" on (as opposed to work on) my whole life. I invite you to play on it with me, when you're ready.


3 comments:

  1. I, too, am looking forward to new opportunities...with apprehension. We are undergoing a huge transition as a species, and much pain and suffering will manifest.

    I'm busy training myself to live as simply as possible. Those of us who see what's coming are very very fortunate to not be plagued with the denial that claims so many victims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is credit but a close corollary to blame? And isn't blame based on that very illusion of separateness? The idea that we have a separate ego that acts on the world, in a top-down manner?

    This is as much you as it is me. Truth is not contained in one body or another, it is created by the interaction between the two. While I can appreciate appreciation, I would not like to be blamed (credited, whichever) for your understanding. :D I could credit Howard, and Alfie Kohn, and Thich Nhat Hanh, and Alan Watts, and so on and so on ... but really it's everything. Civilization itself has manifested this knowledge in me.

    And another question: are we to perceive civilization as anything but a manifestation of the environment itself? How does an environment destroy itself, exactly? Is it useful to condemn the systems like civilization that have manifested from the ecosystems? My inclination is to think that no, it is not useful to see civilization as a separate entity, which we must do in order to condemn it. It is because civilization is connected to everything that it has manifested, and because of its connection it will de-manifest itself in time. The fear of collapse and death, the condemnation springs from our own unresolved anger and disconnection which we experienced as a part of civilization.

    So the "bad shit" that happens because of "us"? It isn't "us" that is causing the "problem". We must learn to see that there is no problem. We are all a part of the same system... in fact there is no "we". Anything that happens, happens. Ebb and flow. Manifestation and demanifestation. And when the world is perceived through this lens, there is no room for cause and effect.

    Many who share this philosophy are often accused of undermining the concept of responsibility, of advocating complacency. I heartily agree with the former (what use is this concept?), but it is the latter that I would like to address. Because civilization is as "natural" as everything else, if concepts like "good" and "bad" do not apply to it, how are we to respond? Are we to just let it be? Are we to let our lives be, and just accept what comes along because there is no objective distinction between right and wrong? Of course not. While there is no objective way to tell the difference, or determine how we "should" act, there are relative, subjective ways. We learn to see the world in terms of our own personal story, not in terms of some objective reality. And when we see the world in this way, when we stay true to the-manifestation-we-are, then we need not be complacent at all. In this perspective there is still room for autonomy and action -- only we must learn to see these as systems and manifestations as well.

    I'm answering one of my Dad's own criticisms here, so I think that's why I responded in this way. I have seen this tendency in myself and I think he has too; I have a tendency to condemn civilization, to see it as "bad" and "unnatural". As I have difficulty communicating my thoughts in a fast-paced conversation, I took this opportunity to play out my thoughts. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  3. deb- good luck in your transition. It's a hard journey even now for me to make changes in my lifestyle; I'm sure it's even more of a challenge when you have already been emersed deeply into the responsibilities of adulthood.

    devin- Thanks for playing them out here. I enjoyed it.

    I definitely am still viewing civilization from inside, still in the civilized mindset of seeing good and bad, natural and unnatural. I understand the objective/subjective part, but it still seems in my thinking that on the subjective level, I would be motivated to take action because I see something as a problem subjectively. I don't know. Sometimes, even being so tall, some things go over my head. =)

    ReplyDelete