Saturday, April 29

It's just a ride

I was watching some video clips of Bill Hicks performances a couple days ago to pass the time. I first learned of Bill Hicks from the_bone via the interests in his profile, but I hadn't seen any of his performances until now. I came across one that was pretty cool (in a serious way more than in a funny way). So I want to share it here. You can go watch Bill Hicks say it himself if you want to. But here is my transcription of the monologue:

expand to read full post


All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves.

The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think it's real, 'cause that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down and around and around. It has thrills and chills and its very brightly colored and its very loud. And it's fun, for a while. But some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question, "is this real? Or is this a ride?" And other people have remembered and they come back to us. They say, "hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because - this is just a ride."

And we...kill those people. "Shut him up. We have a lot invested in this ride. Shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and my family. This has to be real."

It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try to tell us that, and let the demons run amuck. But it doesn't matter because - it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money - a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door and buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one.

He then goes on to say that we can solve all the problems in the world by redirecting all of the money spent on weapons and departments of "defense" to feed, clothe, and educate every single human on the planet, none excepted, and could do so many times over with that money. Then we could go on to explore space in peace. Wow. It was cool until he said that shit. Talk about setting up conditions for a population explosion. (although, In the Wake has suggested that its not overpopulation that is the cause of most of the environmental crisis but rather the overconsumption of resources by the wealthy West.) I guess that's why we'd need to be exploring space - to ship excess people off the planet to start destroying other planets. I'm glad we no longer have the energy resources to do so. Otherwise, the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy would have to be revised - earth could no longer be considered "mostly harmless."

Anyway, I just thought the first part of the monologue was pretty rad.

4 comments:

  1. "The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think it's real, 'cause that's how powerful our minds are. ... It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try to tell us that, and let the demons run amuck. But it doesn't matter because - it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money - a choice, right now, between fear and love." (emphasis mine.)

    Sorry, but I hate this quote. The first two sentences are okay. But the rest is simplistic, dichotomy-ridden, human-exceptionalistic, liberal-progressive BULLSHIT.

    "And then we'll fly to the stars, and everyone will live happily ever after! Right? Right?!? ...Guys? Where'd everyone go?"

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Forty-two points for the Douglas Adams reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was liberal for 18 years (well, I was raised in a liberal family for 18 years; I was probably only liberal myself for 5 or 6 of those years). And I was aware beforehand that Bill Hicks was very liberal. I understand that trying to reform the system itself is futile and the dichotomy of good and evil is a false one, but it's still going to feel right to me and I'm still going to have a positive response to it for a while longer. It was predominately the part about life being "just a ride" that I was pointing out. The idea that we don't have free will is still very much beyond my grasp, so the idea that I just need to "make a choice" appeals to me. Although I am beginning to see that my dropping out was not so much a choice really. It was more just a natural conclusion of a lot of influences coming together. Becoming friends with Pat in highschool, hating my summer job and getting the recommendation to read Ishmael from my boss at that job, gaining the perspective of new friends at food not bombs, sara being away for a semester, meeting you and hearing your story. If it was just a straightup choice without any influences outside of myself, I would have never "chosen" to drop out. And I wouldn't have "chosen" to continue on with college. College wasn't a choice. I went along with the flow of all the influences around me that told me that college was where I needed to go to be happy and successful. My mom will point out the laborious process I went through to pick one particular college, but that was more a pepsi-or-coke type choice. When it came down to it, the college I picked was not picked for the characteristics of the college itself but more its location (near my family) and the people going there (sara).

    So basically, I see your point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, screw that guy. What does it matter what he thinks? What does it matter what label you choose, what beliefs you hold onto that makes you 'liberal' 'conservative' or otherwise? You're a man. A human. And that gives you the right to think freely, free of chains, free of what people lay down for you and tell you what is right or wrong. You have a mind, you have all the freedom that you can take while you're granted life on this planet. Do not like the words of others influence you as such, live for yourself and help others along the way. Hicks was a good man, and i've lived by that quote that you've posted for many years, and he's right. Everything, EVERYTHING in this world is a choice. When you say something isn't, look at what makes it not: The fear of what could happen over making the choice. "The choice between fear and love".

    You can choose anything you feel is right. There may be consequences, but we die anyway...make a better future for yourself and those you love...

    --Sage@heathenharvest.com

    ReplyDelete