Sunday, May 7

Put the fun between your legs

I love riding my bicycle. I recently traded my old bike (which used to be my grandpa's and my aunt's) for one that is much better sized for my height. It's so much more efficient to ride now that I can extend my legs farther. It's a very pretty bike - the brand is Univega, and it's a very cool shade of blue. The handlebars are bare chrome and the wheels are shiny chrome too. It's even got a tiny rainbow flag decal on the vertical post! I traded for it at CAMP's bikeshop.

expand to read full post


Bicycles are basically the best transportation-related technology ever created in terms of energy efficiency, availability to the masses (i.e. cheapness), autonomy, and just general fun, whereas cars are basically the worst. Cars have their place, of course, when you need to travel long distances and bring a lot of cargo with you (why a train can't work for that, I don't know), but I would also question why we should set ourselves up to have to travel long distances on a regular basis (like, say, from the suburbs to the city). Our produce travels an average of 1,500 miles before reaching us. This was only possible because we had cheap energy available to us. When we no longer have that available to us, we need to get used to growing what we need to eat locally again (which means if it doesn't grow in your climate, you're not going to be eating it anymore. bye bye bananas...). Ran has a great excerpt from Ivan Illich up on his site about the effects of cars on a society, and the benefits of bicycle use.

One of my favorite things to do is ride bicycles with a group of people, or even one other person. I've only ridden in a Critical Mass ride once, but it was great fun, and I intend to participate in more in the future.

Some reasons to go by bicycle:

1. Remember when you first learned to ride a bike? Think back for a second. It's just as much fun now as it was then.

2. The bicycle is the most efficient form of transportation ever invented.

3. Half of all transit in the United States is six miles or less round trip, a distance easily made on a bicycle.

4. If you see someone you know while riding, it's easy to stop and say hello. Bicycles create public space, enhance street life and build a sense of community.

5. Ever go for a nice evening stroll down a busy street? Nope, too noisy. The occasional bicycle bell is nothing compared to the constant cacophony of car traffic.

6. There are no parking problems for bicyclists, nor are there parking fees or tickets. Lock your bike to parking meters rather than putting quarters in them. In the space one car takes up, twelve or more bicycles can be parked, which solves parking problems in densely-populated areas.

7. Americans spend 15 to 20 percent of their income on cars. If you ride a bike, not only can you skip car payments, but you can also skip insurance payments, maintenance, dmv stuff and stopping to pay for gas. Carsharing for occasional driving is becoming a more and more reasonable alternative. (A good new bicycle can cost as low as $250. No dmv, no insurance, no gas, very little maintenance.)

8. Millions of Americans want to lose weight, and yet they step into cars everyday, passing up the opportunity to exercise. In addition to weight loss, bicycling reduces the risk of heart attacks, strokes, diabetes and high blood pressure. Given the abysmal state of health care in the United States (which is partially due to the cost of treating well over 2 million car accident victims each year), self-prescribed preventative activity is a wise decision.

9. If you stand in a closed garage with a running car, you will die in a matter of minutes. Hundreds of thousands of cars in our cities create dirty, unhealthy air.

10. Terrorist organizations use our gas money. In order to protect political and corporate interests, the United States supports dictatorial regimes in the Middle East, including Saudi Arabia, which is the number one producer of oil in the world. 15 of the 19 September hijackers were Saudi. Iraq is the second largest producer of oil, and Kuwait the third. Do those countries sound familiar? The government supported Saddam through his worst atrocities, then Saddam began to disobey U.S. orders. That is precisely when he became our enemy.

11. In 2001, more than 3,000 Americans died of terrorism on our own home soil. In 2001, more than 43,000 Americans died in car crashes on our own home soil, and about 2,200,000 suffered disabling injuries. The American death toll of the Vietnam War, which lasted several years, is about 50,000.

12. States, counties and cities spend billions of dollars fixing roads that cars damage. A Honda Civic, a compact car, weighs about 2,500 pounds. That's about 100 times more than the average bicycle. A typical SUV weighs much more than a Civic, and does more damage to roads. Wear and tear on roads from bicycles is almost nonexistent.

13. Experts estimate that easily accessible oil (in other words, cheap oil) will run out around the year 2010. After cheap oil runs out, the price of gas will shoot up. The economic ramifications of this suggest that the sooner we accommodate oil free transportation into our daily lives the better.

14. Watch any tv show, listen to any radio program, look through any magazine or newspaper and you will come across ads showing how cars will make you cool, sexy, popular, respected, at one with nature, safe, etc. The car and oil industries spend billions of dollars each year to promote a benign image of driving, but the function of all this is to assure profits and manipulate consumers, and nothing more.

15. Staying closer to home to shop and do errands builds communication among residents, which promotes autonomy. This in turn leads to political, social and economic self-determination within communities. City hall ends up truly serving the needs of the residents because residents can tell city hall exactly what they want rather than city hall guessing at what they think would be best for the residents. Besides all this, if you factor in all the costs of driving to mega-warehouses, you end up paying more anyway.


In the Wake has also calculated that he gains two minutes in lifespan for every minute spent biking (scroll half way down the archive page to see the relevant post). It's an adaptation from another study in which a man concluded that he gained three minutes for every minute spent walking. So basically, you are slowly shortening your lifespan by using a car.

I realize that there is a lot of danger in riding a bicycle on these insane streets. I was just riding south on Grand during rush hour (on a Sunday afternoon!) a little bit ago and was nearly run down by a swerving speed-demon asshole. It was scary. I felt very much alive, basically having a near near-death experience. According to a bicylce safety site, "Around 44,000 people die in car crashes in the U.S. each year. About 1 in 54 is a bicyclist." I'll take those odds. Cars kill. I personally consider it more dangerous to ride a car on a highway than to ride my bike through a "shady" part of town.

I love being able to service my bike myself as well. Part of the bikeshop at CAMP is being able to learn from others how to become a bike mechanic. I definitely want to get more involved there this summer. My friend AnDIY helped me get my bike into riding condition (I believe the back wheel is actually from one of his old bikes actually). I want to be able to do the same in the future.

(I saw the title of this post on another friend's patch featuring a bicycle prominently. It's very true. So, please, do so!)


12 comments:

  1. I don't know how I missed this article, but I just read it and have to disagree with some of it.

    "Bicycles are basically the best transportation-related technology ever created in terms of energy efficiency, availability to the masses (i.e. cheapness), autonomy, and just general fun, whereas cars are basically the worst."

    I'm pretty sure walking is the best transportation-related technology ever created in terms of energy efficiency, availability to the masses, and autonomy. Fun is relative though.

    Also, bicycles only work if you are only moving to and from places that are connected by straight and flat surfaces -- typically roads. It seems bicycles are still a rather civilized means of transportation, in that they're necessarily only useful in the context of civilization -- which has an abundance of straight and flat surfaces.

    Bicycles are also mass-produced using oil-powered machinery. The metals are mined and refined by machines powered with oil. I'm afraid I don't see how #13 applies.

    Other than that one and #2 (which I challenge), I think all of the rest of your 15 points apply just as much to walking as to biking.

    I was having trouble following the math in those articles at In The Wake and the one Ran linked to; I don't see how one can estimate lifespan changes based solely on one factor. But if we are to accept this math as valid, bicycles only saved two minutes while walking saved three.
    ----

    I guess I just have trouble with anything that is dependent on civilization for its manufacture, maintenance, and usefulness. For hundreds of thousands of years, humans have gotten around just fine by walking and running everywhere we need to go. We retain a much greater amount of mobility on foot than we ever will on a bicycle.

    Bikes are an excellent alternative to cars, and I'm all for them. But I see bicycling as useful only in transition to a completely human mode of transportation. None of this temporary cyborg bit.
    ----

    Sometimes I feel unnecessarily critical or hypocritical. I'm typing this to you on a computer, I plan on flying to St. Louis, where I'll be taking the bus to Dancing Rabbit with you. I'd like to say two things on this. One, this is merely a discussion of the ideal, not necessarily how we are to get there. I understand that these things take time and that in the meantime a bicycle is useful. Two, I live a very conscious life, and I am very aware of the ways I contribute to civilization. In other words I know I'm a hypocrite but I'm working on it. I do try to minimize my hypocrisy and have for the past year kept my travels to a bare minimum while I figure out where I'm going next. I do not own a car, not even a driver's license, and I refuse to become more a part of the system than I already am.

    It might be presumptuous to think this but it seems we share this journey. This is likely why I say anything to you at all. My criticism only comes with good intentions, but I'm not sure I communicate those well or often enough. In the latter case I think it really kicks ass that you're doing what you're doing. You have a tremendous amount of courage and integrity to be walking this path. I greatly respect that.

    'Til next time,
    - Devin
    Resist. Rewild...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I checked technology referred to tools separate from the body and walking was a motor skill that needs no technology to work. I agree that humans are by far best adapted for walking and running outside of civilization. In cities, with "communities" spread out over a big area, it is very helpful here and now to have an efficient technology to help you get around. As soon as I'm living in a community where everything is within walking distance and there's no dead pavement taking up space inbetween everything, I'll happily ditch the bike. But while I'm living in the city, it's very fun to get involved in bike culture.

    Thanks for your support. I support you, too. I, too, think that we are sharing this journey. Obviously, we are sharing the journey of visiting Dancing Rabbit. Beyond that, the future is unwritten - everything is up in the air for me, but it's all very exciting. It is definitely helpful when you criticize or disagree with me. I know some people see it as me following you as if we agree on everything. I do need to take the time and distance to learn more about myself. My mom has warned me that it appears to her that I have simply transferred my efforts to please authority figures from school and family to books and new friends like you. I think I just need to find a balance. I understand that the behavior of pleasing other people isn't just going to go away suddenly. It's something to be aware of all of the time.

    See you in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You missed my point.

    This was my point: "I just have trouble with anything that is dependent on civilization for its manufacture, maintenance, and usefulness. For hundreds of thousands of years, humans have gotten around just fine by walking and running everywhere we need to go. We retain a much greater amount of mobility on foot than we ever will on a bicycle.

    Bikes are an excellent alternative to cars, and I'm all for them. But I see bicycling as useful only in transition to a completely human mode of transportation. None of this temporary cyborg bit."

    Ever try to jump up on a rock with a bike? Or climb a tree? Or move quietly in the woods so as to not disturb an animal you were tracking? Mountain bikes are good for off-road trails, but when you have to avoid vegetation constantly, as you would if you were riding in the wilderness, it becomes damn near impossible.

    I think it's a bit obvious that the majority of humans live and thus walk on straight flat surfaces, because the majority of humans live in civilization. But indigenous tribes have lived (and some still live) in every climate imaginable, from the rainforest to the desert to the arctic tundra. I've never tried to go biking in several feet of snow before but I imagine it'd be, um, efficient.

    You can make the argument that bicycles will be useful in a post-collapse world, and here I agree. But I think it's important to make a sharp distinction between something that is (very temporarily) useful in transition and something that is always useful. I often encounter a bit of myopia when people talk about technology -- eyes glazing over, voice filling with reverence. But it's time we start to see technology as not just products, but the entire system of domination which it requires.

    People often use the phrase "in our lifetimes" when talking about collapse, as if that were all the time that mattered. I take a much longer and broader view of things. We need to start taking into account the future generations of people and considering what we must learn in order to teach them how to live in the world THEY will grow up in. Learning bicycle maintenance might be useful now but for my children it won't be. I already imagine my children asking me why I don't know how to hunt, why I don't know this or that plant's usefulness, why I have so much difficulty providing their basic needs. There is so much to learn, so little time to learn it, because my life extends far beyond when my heart stops beating. We must not look at only our generation, but the seventh generation, and the seventh seventh generation. Anything less is neglect.

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Resistance to civilization has been the story of my life so far. Breaking the cycle of abuse and trauma is my life's goal. Not a day goes by that I am not on this path. You are in very dangerous territory indeed accusing me of being hypocritical and of waiting for collapse. We can talk about bicycles just fine but you're crossing a line by attacking my integrity. I do not appreciate your response. If this conversation is to continue, I need to be very clear with you that I do not tolerate personal attacks from people who do not know me. I apologize if I angered you with my sarcastic response earlier, but I do not feel that my sarcasm warranted this response. You are out of line in presuming you know anything about me or my life. Having said all that, I will try to address what you said as best I can, given the anger I feel.

    As it stands, I've already addressed your "hypocrite" criticism. See above.

    I grew up in the city. I am a domesticated human. I can't just suddenly stop living with technology. It takes time to learn a different way. And I have no tribe.

    I have no problem with "technology" produced locally, as long as each community is completely self-sufficient.
    Any need-based dependency leads inevitably to hierarchy.

    As yet we have not defined the term technology but we pretend we're both talking about the same thing. We're not. The Amish do live with technology. They do not live with electricity. This is a crucial difference. The Amish are still very much civilized.

    You seem to be making the 'technology is neutral' argument, in that technology is somehow separate from how we use it. Technology, however, is far more than the end product that we might use, enlightened or not. A car can never be looked at in isolation, as separate from the hierarchical and centralized systems of production that are necessary to produce it. If you are to come up with an alternative mode of production that would allow for the construction of this technology in a sustainable, self-sufficient, egalitarian way I would be very interested. But as it stands no such alternative mode of production exists.

    To answer your question about writing and the alphabet, yes I am opposed to writing. For the moment writing has its uses but we both know the Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao. Because of writing we have seen the development of supposedly unchanging and absolute truths. We have been trapped in notions and concepts that are not real, no longer able to distinguish reality from symbol, myth, and metaphor.

    That I am waiting for civilization to collapse is a straw man. You accuse me of focusing on a collapse but I do not know where you produced this criticism. If I recall correctly you were the one who introduced the idea of collapse when you said bicycles would be useful in a post-collapse world. I do not focus on collapse, I rarely ever mention it anymore. Focusing on collapse is utterly missing the point, on this we're in agreement.

    For what it's worth, though, the human population is in overshoot and will die off. Humans are animals and no amount of consciousness changes basic population dynamics. Civilization is dependent on an ever-growing population and this is in direct conflict with a finite world. There is no way around it; civilization will collapse. Any attempted "transformation" of civilization must take into account this reality.

    Luckily, I have no desire to change this fact, and in fact seek to embrace it. A pretty basic reality of life is that we're all going to die. This is very reassuring to me -- no matter how much we suffer, we can always know that our suffering isn't permanent.

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one more thing to make perfectly clear: I am not waiting. I am not waiting for civilization to collapse to start living without technology, I am already on this path. I would be doing the exact same thing whether civilization were collapsing or not. My goal is to make civilization as irrelevant to my life as possible. I do not wish to participate in any of its systems -- whether it be the economy, government, or school. This goal will likely not be realized in my lifetime because as I said above change takes time. No change occurs instantaneously. It is unrealistic to think otherwise.

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've definitely crossed a line now.

    This is my fucking life. You don't understand. There are inconsistencies in my life because I've been a fucking slave. I've had to educate myself because everything I was taught in school and by my parents was a lie.

    You treat me like my father used to. This idea that you can see me better than I can see myself is bullshit. I have been staring at myself for over a year now, continually examining and re-examining who I am. I know I'm not pure and that's the last thing you'll see me pretending to be. I own my hypocrisy like very few others I have seen. Because it is only by owning our hypocrisy that we are able to lessen it.

    I grew up liberal and very dissociated from myself. I pretended that I was open-minded, that I was consistent, that I was not sexist or racist. Bullshit. "To the divided mind everything is a contradiction." I'm sexist, I'm racist, I'm prejudiced, I'm as inconsistent as any one else. I see myself as I am because I have to if I am to heal. It's incredibly hard to maintain that focus, to see yourself as you are and not how you wish to be. When you have lived your entire life as a fake, being real is the most difficult thing in the world.

    This idea of purity, of living without inconsistencies is absolutely insane. You will never be pure. It is not your duty to point out any inconsistencies you see in other people, that's self-righteous bullshit.

    As I see it there are two ways to integrate your actions with your beliefs. You can mold your beliefs to fit your actions, a sign of complacency and despair. Or you can change your actions until they align with a vision. The latter is the path I take.

    Everything I know comes from direct personal experience. Everything. Language is a symbology of that direct experience. I can express my direct personal experience in language and I can hear the direct experience of others through language. Writing is a particular form of language that is as alienating as it is connecting. If you had to look me in the eye during this conversation you'd have never said the things you've said here. Never. But because you cannot see my face, hear my voice, or see my reactions, you write like you are a stone. You have no compassion for me because as far as your brain is concerned I am just words on a page.

    You have nothing to offer me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "the man that is heavily influencing and changing the course of Tom's life for better or for worse"... I won't deny that Devin has an influence on me, as much influence as any friend does. I contest the "heavily" and that you blame Devin for changing the course of my life. I'm changing the course of my life. You point to two course altering changes within Devin's life- dropping out of school and dropping out of society, both of which apply to me as well. Devin has only influenced me in that he shared his own story of dropping out to give me the perspective of another's direct experience that it can be done. I had wanted to drop out of college almost as soon as I got there. That's almost 6 months prior to ever talking to Devin. Now the "heavily influencing" could be applied more broadly to everyone I've been talking to and everything that I've been reading. All of that together has heavily influenced me. And I do not see that as a bad thing. It is a gift only made possible through such technology as books and the internet. Without those resources, I would not have been able to learn of alternatives to the way of life offered to me by my phsyically surrounding community- my family and school and church. I see no inconsistancy in using the technology of civilization against itself by teaching and learning from other people who are making their own transitions out. It can't happen overnight. In tribal societies, children spend 13 years learning how to support themselves, after which they are adults. I am now 19, and I am not an adult. I have very little applicable knowledge at this point as to how to take care of myself. It will take a long while to make the transition from dependence on my family and on civilzation to the community-sufficiency of a tribe, and you can bet I'm going to use all of the technological resources available to me to learn to do so. I have no physical tribe to live in right now to teach me such things as foraging and tanning hides and wilderness habitation, so I embrace any necessary hypocrisy in order to find a virtual tribe who can teach me these things.

    I don't see where you get the idea that Devin wants to drop out of life. Devin is dead already in the tomb of civilization and he's clawing his way out of death into life. That's how I see it anyway. I see no life to be had within civilization. You know how much you enjoy a bike ride compared to riding in a car? Because you're going at a slower speed (and so are able to be aware of your surroundings) and feeling the wind and listening to the life around you? And the blood pumping through you? Wouldn't all of those improvements in being able to be present to the moment you're currently living in be even more evident and available when you're walking? And when walking barefoot? Life is delicious and I want to taste every bite. But it takes patience and discipline to learn that life doesn't have to be bought, pre-processed from a store - you can pick life wild for yourself! Patience and discipline to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to either create community-sustainable technology or to do without it completely- that part doesn't matter. Either way, we need to be working together on this to be able to mature out of dependence on civilization. I feel no shame in using civlization's technology to connect with other people to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I don't see where you get the idea that Devin wants to drop out of life. Devin is dead already in the tomb of civilization and he's clawing his way out of death into life. That's how I see it anyway. I see no life to be had within civilization."

    Right on, Tom. Thanks.

    Cym, if you're really interested in my vision I would be happy to share it with you. I question the sincerity of your interest, however. It seems though that you would rather put me in a box than understand me on my own terms.

    I have not seen your good intentions. Rather than apologize, you have continued to judge me and place me beneath you. Now you are "finished with" me, with "good riddance". I see no good intent behind all of this, I see self-righteousness. As long as you are trying to "accomplish" anything with me I don't think we're going to be able to talk.

    I do not wish to close you off. You remind me of me, in many ways. I respect your intensity. If you can find a way to respect me for who I am, and maybe listen to where I am coming from, I would be happy to keep talking with you.

    - Devin

    ReplyDelete