Wednesday, May 24

Summer

I finished with school about two weeks ago. At first, my family and I spent our time in a mad rush to get the house clean before Sara got home from Europe, which she did monday before last. We got to a point where at least everyone had a place to sleep (I have not had a bed when I came home all school year). Sara spent a few days here decompressing from her travels before heading to her family's house for a week. So I've been busy with having Sara home, after having been apart for a very long (and very short at the same time) four months. Which is just an excellent use of time in my opinion.

expand to read full post


Once she headed to her family a couple days ago, I finally started moving on some things I want to begin doing. I'm doing my best to recover from at least 5 or 6 years of sleep deprivation. I'm avoiding the ever-whistling television as much as possible and spending as much time as possible outside, enjoying my wonderfully unkempt backyard. I've watched another awesome movie, My Dinner with Andre, which my dad got for me from the library. I've also been bookshopping a lot, mostly at a small bookstore on south Grand called Dunaway, but also at Borders to get rid of graduation gift cards I still had. I picked up the screenplay of the above movie, which I know I'll enjoy reading in the future. I also got a field guide for wild edible plants. I've been occasionally snacking on little yellow flowers in my backyard, and now I know that they're clover sorrel. They have a nice sweet, but biting, taste. I also tried my first dandelion flower and greens sunday, and I also had a bunch of wild strawberries (which admittedly seemed to be simply crunchy packets of water).

I went grocery shopping both for the family and for myself a couple days ago. For my food, I'm trying out a lot of things that Ran suggests in his Advice page. I'm experimenting right now with catching wild yeast to make my own sourdough bread. I'd also like to learn to sprout grains. I went to a health food and supplement store called New Dawn (also near south Grand) where I spent too much money. To get an idea of what I bought, I'll say what I ate throughout the day yesterday. For breakfast, I had an orange and a banana with some Smuckers "natural" chunky peanut butter and some organic green tea. A couple hours later, I learned to make scrambled eggs (isn't that sad- that I have to learn to make scrambled eggs!), made with cage-free eggs (from Schnucks- so I would guess that they're still crowded in a warehouse, just not in cages). Then I had a peanut butter sandwich on Ezekiel brand (sprouted) wheat bread. And an apple. And then spaghetti and tomato sauce, both organic.

I want to try buying food in larger quantities from Jay's international grocery, but I've never been there and have no clue as to what the quality of the food is there. Since I'm not making any kind of income right now, I really feel entitled to nothing. So I'm trying to learn to live on as little money as possible. I went dumpstering for only the second time this past saturday, at Soulard farmer's market. That's another place to shop in the future instead of a huge supermarket. I want to start gardening in the backyard (I hope it's not too late for everything at this point), and I want to start composting. I'd really like to start filtering the tap water because I don't like what I've learned about it's quality. At this point I'm just setting my drinking water out in an open container for a day or so before I drink it to de-chlorinate it.

There's a lot I want to start doing but I'm prevented right now by the fact that I'm leaving for Dancing Rabbit in less than a week. I'll be leaving for that monday morning with Sara and Devin, and I'll be there for the next three weeks, without any contact with a computer if I can help it. So, basically I'll be back in july to tell you all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment