Wednesday, May 18

Swooning under the Sun

Unfortunately today, I was shirtless as well as shoeless for the soccer game, so my shoulders and upper back are now a nice shade of reddish pink. I definitely need to find a balance there. Because I need vitamin D (I'm at risk for Rickets as a vegetarian, apparently), but I don't need melanoma. Vitamin D would be in plentiful supply if I spent as much time outside as I should. It allows me to absorb calcium.

Too much protein, on the other hand, leaches calcium from my body. So when I'm busy putting on muscle this summer, it'll be with good fats and complex carbs.

Having recreated profusely, I sweated a lot. I enjoy sweating. It's not something to be disgusted by. It is the body's natural cooling system (prevented from effective use by ozone-destroying air conditioners). As such, I am compelled to state (in defiance of all that is polite and euphemistic) that women do, in fact, sweat. If they are glistening, that is caused by something entirely different (I don't know what that something might be, but women certainly don't glisten as a response to increased body temperature). I feel cleansed when I sweat (I'd really like to try a sauna). I will concede that one does get dirty while sweating, not from the sweat itself, but from the dirt your wet body picks up from the air. So I am quite due for my semiweekly shower (and I do enjoy showers quite a bit, by the way). Perhaps my sense of smell is not 100%, because I am not nearly as offended by "body odor" as most people. All I have to say is, if you find your BO to be rather offensive to yourself, look at what you're eating. Needless to say, I haven't used deodorant (and certainly not anti-perspirant) since I was about 13. If anyone who is reading this has had a bad experience of my own body odor, please let me know (that's what friends are for). I find my own BO repugnant only after sweating while nervous, like during an AP Environmental Science Exam. Otherwise, I like the notion of my pheromones being sent out into the world.

While I'm on the topic of self-grooming, I'm growing a mustache, if anyone hasn't noticed the blonde wisps on my upper lip yet. I don't like shaving. I shave my few chin hairs every once in a while simply because a few long chin hairs would look pretty silly. But as soon as whatever hormonal stage I have left kicks in, you can be sure I'll be sporting my attempt at a full head of facial hair. Like I said earlier, hair is supposed to be a sign of maturity. We are most hairy where we perspire the most, so I assume hair serves some synergistic purpose with sweat to help us stay cool. With that reasoning, I'll have a very effective and oh-so-natural personal cooling system in place in no time. No batteries required.

No comments:

Post a Comment